Can one use the Dremel Advantage Plunge Router Attachment (Model 963-01) with Standard Router Bits?

After buying a PC Model 301 trim router and returning after the bit got stuck to badly it got destroyed during my attempts to remove it, I decided to follow up on a suggestion that one of you made in reply to my post at the time, i.e. to use a Dremel Advantage rotary tool (Model 9000) with the above mentioned plunge router attachment.

According to their web site, it takes 1/4" router bits. However, it does not specify the size of the opening of the router base. When I called customer service tonight, I got a big surprise: they stated that using any router bit other than those manufactured by Dremel would void the warranty!??

I was not planning to use it with very large bits, I have my table-mounted Bosch for that, but I was thinking that using roundover bits up to 1/4" would be nice. Also I much prefer carbide over steel, but the Dremel router bits are only made with steel.

I was wondering if one of you has this attachment, and if (a) the warranty does indeed say that, (b) what your experience has been --- have you used it with standard router bits, and (c) what is the size of the opening in the base?

Thank you in advance for the feedback!

Adriaan

Reply to
Adriaan Sachtler

Adriaan,

It may have been my post your are referring to. My Dremel is presently at my nieces house where they're remodeling (everything). The Advantage kit now comes with a plunge router base and a flexible extension. Since it's not here, I can't read the warranty in the manual but that should be available on-line.

I've been using 1/4" bits (roundcover, straight and a core box bit) without any ill effects to the Dremel - so far. I also have the PC310 and the Dremel is rated at 4.5a - same as the PC310. I wouldn't expect it to do heavy routing but so far everything I've done has come out nicely. As for using other than Dremel bits, I'd say that's hog-wash. When I spoke to customer service (a very nice and knowledgeable lady - she's the one on their web site), I told her my intentions of using carbide tipped router bits and she's the one that recommended the plunge base. It's not junk but I wouldn't call it heavy duty but certainly designed to handle anything for

1/8" Dremel bits and most other 1/4" router bits as long as you're reasonable about your cutting.

It is not a replacement for the PC310 if that's what you're thinking and I don't want you to think that - it is a step below for lighter duty applications but much handier than a medium sized router.

As for the base - it's removable.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.