can I use bun legs on a huge kitchen island?

I am constructing a kitchen island that is the following shape (includes curved walls):

would like to use bun legs to make the island look more like a piece of furniture. Can this be done, given that the island is 85" long? Will be very heavy with that granite on top. The walls other than the cabinets on the flat side will be custom built.

Reply to
chiaramonte.michael

What's a bun leg

Is the island a cabinet or a table... you need to make sure that the "apron" of a table is beefy enough to not allow sagging between the legs.

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

I don't understand the diagram, but if the island is a solid box like a cabinet carcase, then you support it on a recessed (out of sight) base of toe kicks and then trim it out with bun feet and split-dowel "legs." The bun feet do not support the unit, and the "legs" are just molding. Rockler has a bunch of examples under "wood products." I hope I understood your question.

Reply to
boorite

I'm not sure what CAD program you're using, but the results are more than a little odd. What are those boxes and what's with woodwork dimensioning to 4 decimal places?

As someone else posted, it's better to have a conventionally supported cabinet with decorative elements applied. Cleaning under the island would be a total bitch.

BTW, you are planning to have some electrical receptacles on that island, aren't you?

RicodJour

Yes there will be electrical devices. This is a totally custom job. There will be 2 square cabinets on the flat side, the curved side is a custom wall my contractor will build.

Reply to
chiaramonte.michael