Burn barrel

Can't believe I've lived this long without one.

Reply to
Michael

It is hard to fit a tire in one.

Reply to
Algonquin J. Calhoun

??!! There are better ways to dispose of a tire, than burning it.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

When I grew up, my dad would bring home tires from work and other places. We used them on stump fire to clear land. We had a whole bunch of those original old growth stumps. Many of them several feet in diameter. Lots of black smoke. That sort of thing is probably illegal these days.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

So it was you who caused AGW!?

Fershame ...

Reply to
Swingman

How's Bucky doing?

Reply to
Swingman

Michael wrote in news:b5b1e3f9-a58e-434d-b1ed- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Sure does keep the shop scrap pile under control. If it's under a certain length or width (or unusable for some reason), in to the "to burn" can it goes.

If you start burning hardwoods like oak, you can cook over the fire. That's quite a bit of fun, even if all you do is hamburgers. FWIW, Steak on a Stick doesn't work so well. Steak tends to shrink as it's cooked, so it's hard to get off the stick to eat.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

You did not grow up in the country apparently. Long ago every house in the country had a brown rusted barrel in the backyard for burning the trash. Not sure its the same today. Parents have just used a bare spot on the gro und at the last couple houses, no barrel. Usually have some extra trees on the pile to burn. Always a pain dealing with metal and glass waste. You have to separate it into a separate container and then every month or so fi nd a spot to get rid of it. City life with weekly trash collection is OK. And I'm lucky enough to have a creek behind the house for throwing away tr ee trimmings. Cannot put tree branches in the plastic trash containers.

Reply to
russellseaton1

On Wednesday, October 1, 2014 10:59:26 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote :

.... Parents have just used a bare spot on the ground at the last couple h ouses, no barrel.

Yep, bare spot on the ground, when I was young. In the late 80s, my cousin brought over his metal detector and we searched my grandparents burn spot, among other places. We found coins, horse shoes, an axe head, buggy riggi ng rings, buckles & such and, best of all, five 1949 whoop net tags.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

No, no, it wasn't me. It was my dad! ;)

He is doing fine. He is the neighborhood celebrity. He gets two walks a day, one from me and one from Dawn. And he loves everybody and everybody loves him. I have been taking extra walks since spring each day as part of a weight loss/fitness program. And people actually get upset when they see me without Bucky. They always ask, "Where is your dog?" I have to explain that he gets two walks a day and that is it. I am entitled to a walk or two, now and then.

Bucky has a simple philosophy. He is the most important being in time and space. He is the center of EVERYTHING! Everybody he sees should run run over to him and love him. If they don't he gets a little miffed. He just does not understand. We refer to him as the resident megalomaniac.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

My workshop hasn't been this clean in a while. Hand plane shavings, sawdust, and all those little scraps living under my power tools are now long gone. We have a burn pile, but a burn barrel burns faster and safer.

Reply to
Michael

Michael wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Here in the city I just bagged up the sawdust, shavings, etc and posted it on craigslist for free - disappeared in a couple hours. I think people use it for gardens or pets.

Reply to
Baxter

Sadly this was never allowed where I lived in the city on the east coast. For last 20 years I've been living in Ohio and it's still not allowed where I live. I would love to burn a few things, especially the leaves. Here they want every dollar they can squeeze out of you and try to force you to bag them in specific paper bags for trash pickup. WTH? It's nature's mulch! I ended up buying a mulching leaf blower/vac and spread it out in my gardens every year. If it's an exceptionally leafy year (neighbors trees) I spread the mulch out to some of the neighbors.

Reply to
Casper