Building a Shed -- Flooring and other questions

Hi WD,

I was just thinking the same thing :) I use Google Groups, and they don't allow file attachments -- but I'd love an email from folks with photos of their shed projects. I found this one on webshots, which is about what I'm looking at

-

but I'd love to see other ideas.

Right now the main two things I'm trying to draft out are the footings on the ground and the roof. I'm still unsure whether I want to do a gambrel or gable roof, plus I'm not sure exactly how to setup the ground to make it level and secure so the shed won't move around or contort over time. I want it as secure as possible.

If anyone doesn't mind sending photos with some detail to how you setup your shed on the ground and maybe roofing, I'd sure appriciate it. Heck I might even get a website going (I'm a web designer by profession) and with permission given of course post some info on my project along with anyone else who wants to particiate :) Just a thought --

Ringo

Oh, my email is rlangly at gmail.com :)

Reply to
Ringo Langly

Somthing to consider:

Many roof trusses are built incorrectly....The company or lumber company "desperately" needs to get rid of them. (too long or too short)

The "get rid of them" usually means "fire sale" prices.

If you are patient and lucky, you might be able to get a set for very little money and plan your shed around them.

R> WD wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

Reply to
Bob Bowles

Well after seeing all this shed commentary I thought I would chime in as well. I had an old shed in my back yard that suffered a big hit from a falling tree. I re-built it and chopped the size in half or so, but a few years later, I needed something better, so I took the old shed apart and built a new one, using many of the parts from the old shed (treated 2x4's and siding). I also had a bunch of materials lying around that I used as well, so that the cost was only around $400. My shed is about 6x9, which isn't very larg, but that's what I had space for. (At least it's pretty tall--11' in the back.) Here's a link where you can see the old shed and a sequence of construction photos of the new one, along with some commentary on the materials used.

a note to the OP, it helps greatly if you make some basic drawings of your shed. In my case, I drew a plot of the base, and elevations for each of the walls. These drawings were just slightly more detailed than the proverbial sketch on the napkin, but even so, they were very helpful in keeping on track with the construction.

Reply to
Jedd Haas