Buddy, can you spare me a Nine.........

I just got back from the local Woodcraft store, where I bought a "37 in 1 Professional Quality Stamping Tool Set" for $20. 26 letters, "&", ".",......

...."AND 9 NUMBERS, 0 - 8".

I guess "9" isn't important anymore. But it's my own fault, it said so right on the packaging.

Otherwise, the tool works well enough.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

Turn the six upside down. Duh.

nb

Reply to
notbob

I've been toying with the idea of using those to brand the date into my projects, when I get around to ordering a branding iron with my name on it, but I'm not sure how many sets I'd have to buy so I could do it in just one stab. I think the most use of one digit would be something like 1/11/2011 or 2/22/2012. Five sets.

Reply to
else24

Try here:

think the picture is misleading and the item is actually a single stamp for $3.36. Call Brownells (gunsmithing stuff) for clarification.

800-741-0015

nb

Reply to
notbob

How about where it clearly states, "*Picture displayed may not represent the actual product."

As to the OP, I also saw this, "Sets of letters consist of 27 characters, including period. Sets of figures consist of nine characters from 0 to 8, the 6 also being used for the 9."

Hey, we've all had brain farts.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Yeah, well.... this brain fart left a skid mark, a little bit, anyway.

BUT, on their behalf, they did include the letter "O" as well as the number "0" (exactly the same stamp). That's what threw me off momentarily. At least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

And I take back my original/premature review. Some of the stamps don't fit well in the press, esecially the "I". I have to use a big-ass plier to remove the stamp from the tool once I get it in there. And the force adjustment doesn't really adjust much. And there's no way to orient the stamps, I hadda' resort to orienting each stamp with a Sharpie. I'd not recommend this tool if precision is a requirement.

All that said, I'm satisfied with the tool for the price (I'm using it to stamp plant names and lethal temps on those aluminum tags to identify my cactus plants from all over the World).

That's my life and I'm stickin' to it.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

How about it?

nb

Reply to
notbob

Nahhh, turn it upside-down. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

You said the picture was misleading. The description even reads, "1/16" Steel Number 8." Do you expect them to take a picture of each individual number?

Misleading to the illiterate, I guess.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I got the same set, but "6" was missing in mine. go figure....

Reply to
Joe

I just stamp the letters or numbers one at a time. Held against a clamped straight-edge they usually don't look too bad. I found when using them held together the kerning put the numbers/letters too far apart. I got one of those branding irons for Christmas, it's nice.

Reply to
DGDevin

Thank you for stating the obvious ....again!

nb

Reply to
notbob

You know, I bet if you turned the "6" over, you'd have a pretty good facsimile of a "9"

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Are you not the one who said the picture was misleading?

Reply to
-MIKE-

Zz Yzx wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

What do you need the 9 for? Just mark your projects in base 9 or base 8 (octal). By convention, adding a leading 0 denotes a base 8 number.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

^ That's an O, not a 0. ;-)

BTW, some conventions use a leading zero to mean hexadecimal (no octal option).

Reply to
krw

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

While the O may still be correct, many of the programming languages I'm familiar with use 0.

is usually denoted by 0x. (Sometimes a trailing h is used, but that seems to be falling out of favor.) Binary patterns usually are 0b.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0^

for Hexadecimal, and often 'D' or "D'" for plain-as-the-nose-on-your- face decimal.

...or "H'"

...or "b'". Really, all make the intention clear *except* the leading '0'.

Reply to
keithw86

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 16:37:28 -0500, the infamous -MIKE- scrawled the following:

In a brownish sort of way, huh?

But, for Crom's Sake, don't turn it _sideways_!

-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I have some of the same issues, but since I paid less than $10 for the kit at Harbor Freight, I feel that I'm getting my bang for the buck..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis