Bosch Colt PR20 Router vibration

I have a Bosch Colt PR20 palm rounter. I got one when the first one hit the stores because I really liked the design. Still do. However, I find that there is more vibration than I would like to see in a router of this quality level. I mentioned this in a review of it several months ago. It has much more vibration than my DeWalt trim router, or for that matter, any of my routers. Maybe it is normal, but I have not been able to compare it to other Colts to see if mine is an exception or typical. The reason I am bringing it up here is that I put a little LED light that Dremel is selling on it and the vibration tends to make the light wink or flash (I assume due to the battery contacts being vibrated).

Has anyone got experience with comparing the colt vibration with other trim routers and can tell me their impressions?

Reply to
eganders

Wow, that sounds like you've got a bad one. Bad bearing?

My PR20 is really smooth, at all speeds. I thought my 1608 trim router was decently smooth, but the PR20 is much better. The "whooshing" (fan or bearing noise?) on the fixed speed 1608 has been so loud from day one that it's painful- not so on the PR20. (My 1608 has a nasty habit of gradually spitting out bit shafts, too.)

The only quibble I have with the PR20 is that the height adjustment thread is on the inside of the base shroud, and so gets sawdust thrown into it. But Santa brought one of the MicroFence "Portable Three Axis Mill" bases for it (review coming up), and I don't think it will be going back to the standard base much except for close quarters work :-)

Reply to
Jeffrey Johnson

Something to check in case you have not. Does it vibrate with no bit?

Reply to
Leon

Yes. I would say the vibration creates a tingling feeling in my hand. I guess I need to see another one to see if mine is abnormal.

Reply to
eganders

One other thing to consider IF you have the VARIABLE SPEED unit. Perhaps because of different harmonics at different speeds you may get less or more vibration at different speeds. My Bosch 1617EVS and Triton VS router both vibrate a slight bit more at some speeds that others. Because yours will run at a much higher 35,000 rpm the chances of vibration is increased. That said however I would do as you have indicated and double check with another unit if for no other reason than to put your mind at ease.

Reply to
Leon