Colt for making inlays?

I have two fixed base routers-a PC 690 and an older Bosch. I need to route out a 3" square 1/4" deep inlay in a box top. I was considering purchasing the plunge base for my PC 690 router ($89) and adding a 1/4 or 1/2" bearing guided straight sided carbide bit...or getting an inlay bushing set with a bit. Then I was looking at a Colt and PC Laminate trim router and was wondering if I could tip the square base on its side and carefully plunge it into the top using an inlay bushing and small spiral bit. The problem arises when trying to adapt inlay bushings for PC to the Colt. I think it will require a new base plate and an adapter to mount the PC bushing? I found the PC trimmer well made but not as well made as the Colt. Questions: Is it safe to use a square base trim router to plunge a small bit by tilting it's base? What do I need to add a PC bushing to the Colt and is it worth the trouble? Would I be better off just getting the plunge base to do this job, sharpen my chisels or what?

Reply to
bookman

I cut 16 hinge mortises on Thursday and used a jig to guide me. I used a Bosch 1617evs fixed base router with a 1/2" flush trim "TOP" bearing bit. Just being careful and setting the spinning bit down on the wood works out very well with out the need of a plunge mechanism. I cleaned up the corners with a chisel. I would save the money unless you are going to be doing this daily, maybe not even then. Try it out on a piece of scrap, I think you will find that if you go in 3 or 4 progressively deeper steps with a bit that is 1/2" or smaller in diameter you will be able to free hand close enough to the lines and clean up with a chisel.

A hint, use a utility knife and straight edge to establish the borders and make several passes with the knife going deeper each time. This will help you get a good clean line to clean up with the chisel after routing.

Reply to
Leon

Well, for what it's worth, I've done it and it doesn't "feel" unsafe. As long as you're using a smallish bit (1/4"?) and it's not set too deep (

Reply to
Andy

I recently purchased a Colt. I've only used it for laminate trimming so far and am far from an expert on routers. However, I think this may help you:

'm still trying to understand what I can do with my Colt so any comments are welcome.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

On Dec 10, 1:22 pm, bookman wrote: snip

Probably not an issue since you're filling it with an inlay, but by pivoting the bit into the wood will leave a gouge.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

If it is an issue and you have a selection of bits, you could first use a hemispherical coring bit to cut a starter hole, then swap to the end cutting straight bit.

FWIW,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G