I included links to archive.org so you could actually look at the content without a physical copy in front of you. Although their copy is an older edition than I saw for sale.

I generally just do the minimal drawings I need to understand a project, which are far less detailed or sophisticated at real engineering drawings, but that has worked out for me. Learning to do better is something I've considered, which is how I happen to have the book.

Elijah

------ likes browsing at archive.org

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Emanuel Berg snipped-for-privacy@zoho.eu on Thu, 25 Feb 2021 17:09:50 +0100 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Yes.

Ah, sounds like you want something like _Fundamentals of Design_ is the book I recall. I also recall that I could get the subsection for the class at the bookstore, or get the hardback revised version (from which the college extracted the part they used) for less including S&H.

Technical Drawing is one of those areas where it is as much about how to think about what it is you are drawing, and for what reason, as it is about the technicalities of the drawing. In short, if you just need to know the shape and dimensions, a 'rough' sketch can suffice. But 'blue prints' have a lot of technical requirements, because they _are_ the legal description of the item/part. E.G., I had a drawing for a part I was making, and while the one row of holes had each hole in a line, and all 3" apart, there was no dimension where on the board that line was located. Is it 1 inch from the top? right down the middle? corner to corner? "Technically" as long as the holes were in a line and on the board "it was right" - never mind if they don't line up with the other part.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Sonny snipped-for-privacy@aol.com on Thu, 25 Feb 2021 10:30:42 -0800 (PST) typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Check your local tech school, too.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Many people do not realize it but there are many old books on line for the Download. I have downloaded a couple dozen old county histories that were written in the late 18 and early 1900's

I did not download it but there is one that tells how to build a modern sanitary out house, in case you were thinking about building an outhouse.

I usually do a search for the book and title if I have it or on the subject.

Reply to
knuttle

I would doubt that drafting is taught anywhere anymore, any more than advanced abacus accounting is.

Reply to
krw

Emanuel Berg snipped-for-privacy@zoho.eu on Thu, 25 Feb 2021 17:09:50 +0100 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Aha. I found my CAD library book files

_Sketching, Drawing techniques for production designers_ Koos Eissen & Roselien Steur ISBN 978 906 369 171 4

"An invaluable skill for product designers and an integral part of the design process, the ability to sketch or illustrate a concept may mean the difference between rejection and realization. Sketching is an in-depth look the traditional elements that make up a successful sketch. Includes numerous examples contributed by some of the worlds most renowned product designers. This book is essential both for aspiring students and established designers looking to brush up on their skills. Sections covered include: side view sketches, perspective drawing, simplifying shape, elementary geometric shapes, special notice at ellipses, rounding, cross-sections, ideation, explanatory drawings, surface and texture, light and ambiance and surroundings."

_Sketching the Basics_ ISBN 978 90 6369 253 7 »This book is aimed at people who want step-by-step guidance in learning how to sketch. But we could not resist including examples from designers and design offices around the world. By looking at how they work we link theory and everyday practice, and we hope that these case studies inspire young designers.« Roselien and Koos, April 2011«

Andrew Loomis has "Fun with a Pencil" from 1939. isbn:9780857687609 »Andrew Loomis (1892-1959) is revered amongst artists - including comics superstar Alex Ross - for his mastery of drawing. His first book, Fun With a Pencil, published in 1939 is a wonderfully crafted and engaging introduction to drawing, cartooning, and capturing the essence of a subject all while having fun. With delightful step-by-step instruction from Professor Blook, Loomis's charming alter ego on the page.«

_Working Drawings Handbook_ Keith Styles & Andrew Bichard Routledge isbn: 9781135140243, »Covering every aspect of drawing preparation, both manual and computer-aided, this comprehensive manual is an essential tool for students, architects and architectural technologists. Showing what information is required on each type of document, how drawings relate to specifications, and how to organize and document your work, this handbook presents a fully illustrated guide to all the key methods and techniques. Thoroughly revised and redesigned, this fourth edition has brand new computer-generated drawings throughout and is updated to cover all aspects of computer use in the modern building design process.«

The main issue is that to get good at drafting, drawing or sketching, you're just going to have to do it. A lot. There is only so much you can learn from books, but your hand and eye are going to have to work together, to get on paper what you are seeing. Regardless of whether it is something in front of you, or "in your mind's eye."

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com on Fri, 26 Feb 2021 20:00:58 -0500 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

One would be surprised. But some of the tech schools will have some fundamentals textbooks.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

For one off drawings, it is a toss up: doing it manually or learning CAD. The main advantage to CAD is that you can make revisions a whole lot easier. You don't have to make a complete new drawing.

If you really learn a CAD system, it becomes a "very easy" means of getting a "drawing" on "paper". But even then, you will start with a proverbial sketch on a cocktail napkin. (In my case, it was a hospital cafeteria napkin. I solved Bill's manufacturing problem with one easy setup. He looked at the sketch, said "that's it - sign and date it!" For all I know it is still in the archives.)

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I can't imagine that at tech school, in particular, would spend time on such things. They have a very limited amount of time to train students how to do real work. High schools, maybe. They teach nothing useful anymore. Plenty of time, though wokism does take much of the day.

Reply to
krw

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com on Fri, 26 Feb 2021 22:57:14 -0500 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Depends on the school. Renton Tech spends two years teaching you the basics of Machine Technology, one year on manual machines getting some idea what is happening, then one year learning CNC programming. (Start out by plotting all the points for the tool path 'the rest is easy'). If nothing else, as the instructors if they have any recommendations.

I got 'essence of the revised version' of Fundamentals of Design at the Community college, looked it up online. The book store had a notorious markup. OTOH, they were less on the welding references than buying them direct from the company.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I think it was Lew Hodgett, who was a valuable contributing member of this newsgroup, and boat lover, for many years, who recommended the following book to me: "Fundamentals of Engineering Drawing", by French and Vierck, McGraw-Hill, 1960. I have the 2nd edition, published in

1966. It will even help you to compute the values of the trigonometric functions, sin(x), etc., using your slide rule! The drawings in the book are at a level suitable for beginning mechanical engineers! Now that I have it out, I think I'll review it some! : ) Lew also liked the woodworking book, "Boat Joinery & Cabinetmaking", and I collected that book too, and even bought a 2nd copy to give to a friend. I caught on early in my woodworking hobby that books are cheaper than tools, though I have my fair share of both. Lew is still missed!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

OK, but did any of it involve a drafting pencil?

I remember my brother complaining about his text books in college. At the time ('65ish) over $100 each, four or five per semester. As a reference, tuition was something like $200 per semester. The books were written (poorly) by his professors and, of course, required material. BTW, that translates to something like $3K - $6K per book, today. Mine, five years later, were "cheap" by comparison. Only $30-$50, more on the $30 side.

Reply to
krw

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com on Sat, 27 Feb 2021 10:14:58 -0500 typed in rec.woodworking the following:

Don't remember ... oh wait, a lot of the fundamentals of design class did take place on paper. OTGH: "Last time I took drafting, it was with pencils and 'drafting machines'. 'Computer Aided Drafting' was science fiction, but would probably mean we'd have robots doing the final inking of the drawings."

OTOH, there is a level of "If you can't do this by hand, then how will you know if you're doing it right with a computer or other machine?" I've heard too many stories of organizations being unwilling to hire someone otherwise qualified because they didn't know The Software Package. Apparently "Software is hard to learn." and few of those doing the hiring understood that certain tasks remain the same "the question is how do I do it here?"

Yeah, textbooks are a scam.

I took accounting. Between the first semester and the second, all new standards came for GAAP (Generally Accept Accounting Practices' if I remember) - so the text books were no long good for class, let alone resale.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Not a hundred years ago. Today.

I suppose if you don't know how to ride a horse, you shouldn't drive a car? You need to know how to shoe a horse before you learn how to change a tire on a car? Muck a barn before changing oil?

They had a better plan for us. A new edition with different problems for each chapter. Not only does it eliminate the used book market but it eliminates fratboys answers library.

Reply to
krw

That one seems to be popular. Amazon has new printings, and the used ones on Abe Books are mostly more than the new.

Elijah

----- just ordered a copy

Reply to
invalid unparseable

pyotr filipivich snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I had a semester of mechanical drafting in high school. I'm SO glad I did. Even though most stuff is done with Sketchup, the ability to grab a piece of paper and use "that looks about right" for my dimensions is perhaps the best skill I learned in high school. You can almost always borrow a pen/pencil and something to write on.

The cool thing is that the skills can transfer. Working with faces and edges in Sketchup directly links back to "do I need this line?" and "what's this line doing here?" from mechanical drafting.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Kind of sad there are kids out there who don't know how to use a straight-edge and a compass, huh? Or, a T-square! : ) I had the "basics" down pretty early since my dad was an engineer.

I remember in 4th or 5th grade we had an assignment to sketch a room of our house (and I enjoyed the technicalities). The teacher said, "...and you were the only one who drew sharp arrows (arrowheads)", and I just said, "well, my dad is an engineer". I have wondered since then whether she thought I got help with the assignment, because I didn't ask for or get any! It just wasn't my first rodeo! : )

Reply to
Bill

But you can't pick up the pad and spin it around to see it from all angles, including the inside, and looking through the model. That's incredibly useful.

I "need the line" if it's part of a component. Spinning the model, in normal modes and X-ray makes the "what's this line doing here" far easier than a 2-D sketch.

Add the ability to add components, other furniture, or perhaps the room itself, makes even yellow sketch pads pale.

Technology is often better than "GET OFF MY LAWN!". ;-)

Reply to
krw

Yeah, that walking 2 miles up-hill through 6' of snow to school, both ways, was tough! I still prefer the car (never rode a bus).

Not everything was better fifty years ago. If it were we wouldn't have all the spoiled-rotten kids who think boys are girls permeating the society. They haven't any real problems so have to invent them.

Reply to
krw

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Sometimes you don't need that ability, or don't need that ability yet. I draw houses to 3D print model houses. I just don't need to see inside the house when doing the external design, so sometimes it's faster to get it on paper then start doing the detail work on the computer.

Other times I have a more solid idea of what I want and I just start modeling on the computer.

Yep. I'm not saying you need 20 years of experience with mechanical drafting, but having a few months experience with the basics will positively impact your Sketchup drawings. It's especially important when exporting from Sketchup to 3D printer slicer, as every line, every face, you draw ends up in the STL file. It causes big problems with the STL import if you have stuff you don't need.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper