book on doing tech drawings

Anyone knows a book on doing drawings?

Like tech stuff, it can be a room but also an object like a nail puller or whatever,

I.e., a book that attempts to help the reader teach him/herself doing it... with terminology, methods and examples, tools perhaps and - ah, you get it :)

TIA

Reply to
Emanuel Berg

Sketchup for Dummies

Reply to
Leon

OK. No, by hand!

Reply to
Emanuel Berg

Are you looking for paper drawings or electronic drawings, and if electronic with what software?

Reply to
J. Clarke

No software.

Reply to
Emanuel Berg

Kinna sounds like you want a school text book as I had in college, Basic Design Technology class. Don't recall the text book title.

Maybe check with your local college/university book store for something appropriate.

Reply to
Sonny

Notes on technical sketching and free hand lettering for engineering students

Preview:

Buy:
Mechanical drawing; technique and working methods, for technical students

Preview:

Buy:
Essentials of drafting; a text and problem book for apprentice, trade and evening technical schools

Preview:

Buy:

A Manual of Engineering Drawing for Students and Draftsmen

Preview:

Buy:
Elijah

------ has an eight edition copy of that last one

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Heh, I live in Sweden, university stuff is good (great) but too difficult for me or too big of an undertaking with respect to this particular activity I should say, and the college, or corresponding, stuff is... it isn't good.

Like a technology book, it can begin like this:

Maybe you didn't realize it, but technology systems are everywhere. From you cellphone to the subway/underground of our nation's capital.

I can't wade thru stuff like that because it makes me wanna punch into a wall or something... just horrible.

Reply to
Emanuel Berg

Woodworking for Dummies: First download Sketchup...

Reply to
krw

The place I would start looking is in the nearest Used Book store. Possible your local Library book sale.

If you are in a hurry, look on Ebay, Abe Books, or some of he online used books sties.

Reply to
knuttle

Sounds like what you're looking for is something akin to the drafting text my mother learned out of at Pratt Institute in the '20s (geez, has it been a century since she lived in New York? Wow.). It's long lost and I can't remember the title but it was a very thorough education in technical drawing.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Is that carpentry or construction BTW? Carpentry, right? Sounds more like it. Wood shop (AmE). Or can it be both?

I'm into construction, by all means, Sketchup might be useful for that as well tho, not saying...

Not familiar with it.

Anyway I do this kind of stuff

so it is pretty easy but I'd still like good drawings and maps to facilitate communication and information storing/sharing/retreival...

Reply to
Emanuel Berg

Do you have a specific title or ISBN to look for, a book you yourself read and thought was great in this field?

Reply to
Emanuel Berg

That's gonna be a problem :)

Reply to
Emanuel Berg

I use if for both. It's not a CAD package, rather a 3-D modeling program. You build a model, then pull the dimensions from the model.

Nope. It's great for woodworking, particularly anything like cabinetry. I use it for construction around the house to get dimensions right. Starting from where I am now to where I want to be isn't always straight forward.

It would work well for that, though I think you'd need to model the trees first. I don't know how that'll work after the trees are loaded. Maybe others here would have ideas. It's widely used here.

Reply to
krw

I was formally trained for architectural and mechanical drawings almost

50 years ago and there was no text book used then. I switched to CAD drawing in 1986. There will likely be no recent publications for manual drafting and they will be scarce.

You might do web search.

Reply to
Leon

I got one that was recommended here. I could look up the title, but that's not really important. I just wanted to mention that the used book stores (abebooks.com, etc.) have these books-and they are priced right. Such a book will probably have been published between the 50s and

60s. I can come up with the title if desired.

Reply to
Bill

Well, it doesn't have to be that recent. Surely, there should be some book, still?

As for CAD, yeah, I get it people do that, pros and skilled amateurs alike, absolutely nothing wrong doing that if one has great software and setup.

Reply to
Emanuel Berg

Yes, please do :) 2nd-hand books are great. As are sometimes brand new books. And even future books I guess ;) Don't judge a book by its publishing year :)

Reply to
Emanuel Berg

You mean "A Manual of Engineering Drawing for Students and Draftsmen"? You read it as well? Is it good?

Reply to
Emanuel Berg