Blue Shop Towels Cause Rusting?

Doing a little maintenance around the shop, decided to change the jointer b lades. 6 to 8 months ago, I had 2 sets of blades sharpened and rolled the m in the blue shop towels, for storage.

I discovered all the blades have developed rust spots. I suppose the towe l's acid caused the rusting. The towels were stuck to the blades at the points of rust. There was no signs of any discoloring/blemishing on the o utside of the wrappings, so I doubt the cause was from an exterior contamin ate, migrating inward.

Scroll right for 2 more pics.

/

I have older sets of blades wrapped in regular paper towels and in brown pa per bags... no rusting on these.

I had planer blades sharpened at the same time as the jointer blades. Pla ner blades were stored in their designated cases. No rust on these, so wh atever caused the rusting didn't come from the sharpener.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Wish I had an 8 inch jointer.

Reply to
G Ross

Wish I had a 12 inch jointer :-)

Reply to
woodchucker

It was moisture in the blue towel -if you oil the towel lightly first the blade won't rust because with the oil there, it cannot absorb moisture.

Reply to
clare

woodchucker wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

Wish I had a self-leveling board, so I wouldn't need a jointer. :-)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

You can only use the self leveling board once - then you are back to needing the jointer - - -

Reply to
clare

Wish I had 8" of anything.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

So does yer wife. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

It may not be acid in the towels, rather that they're absorbing water from the air. I had this problem with a pistol case. It had a canvas spine that absorbed water and rusted the stainless steel along the top of the barrel and back of the grips. Rust on a $1500 gun sorta pissed me off.

Reply to
krw

I'm married. I wouldn't know what to do with it. ;-)

Reply to
krw

I'm sorry to hear that. After 33 years we both still know what to do with it.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

4" twice is just as good
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Probably not, as the average depth is about 5".

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I think I would agree, probably sweat. I have not seen an issue with those towels, Scott blue shop paper towels, in 20+ years.

Reply to
Leon

46, but who's counting. ;-)
Reply to
krw

Use it twice as often.

Reply to
krw

I guess those that don't know what to do with it anymore.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Or... Those who talk about doing it, talk about doing it.

Reply to
krw

...and do it.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Wish I had a shaving horse.

Use the blue ones all the time and no rust. Probably moisture from the air.

Sonny was heard to mutter:

Reply to
Casper