blade guard use on tablesaw

I don't have a torch...

Well, not one that gets hot enough to cut anything anyway. I don't think air/propane is going to do it. :)

Makes dealing with potential heat treatment problematical too. Can't remove it, can't put it back. I've read about such things, but I don't have anything that gets hot enough.

One of these days....

Reply to
Silvan

I agree completely, and I'm a seatbelt wearer. Have been since before the goverment started trying to force people to wear them. I had a really nasty wreck when I was a kid. T-boned an old, nearly deaf man who ran a stop sign. I hit hard enough to break the motor mounts, and the battery exploded. The floor pan buckled and my passenger wound up with the top of his seat almost out the window (and he would have probably smashed the glass with his head if it hadn't been summer, and the window hadn't been down...)

I got a nice red mark on my shoulder. No other injuries. My passenger didn't even get a red mark. I believe in seatbelts!

Having said that, I'm coming to be of the opinion that seatbelts in heavy trucks are pretty pointless. I've had two accidents and countless panic stops. Most recently, an idiot decided to come across *four* lanes at the last possible second to change her mind about which way she wanted to go at a junction between two interstates. She cut it too close, clipped the guardrail, blew out a tire, spun completely out of control, and even though I was doing my damndest to avoid a collision, I T-boned her. Completely obliterated her vehicle, though thankfully, and miraculously, there were no injuries. All the moreso because she had an approximately 12-year-old girl with her. I've very, very glad the poor child's stupid, impatient imbecile mother didn't get her killed!

My seatbelt didn't even lock, and I never budged from the seat at all. Had the bumper not bent into my steer tire, I could have driven away immediately. Her big badass SUV went to the junkyard on a rollback.

I'm thinking that if I ever hit something hard enough to jiggle my seatbelt into locking, the seatbelt ain't gonna save me. So I mostly wear it just to avoid getting a ticket.

Reply to
Silvan

No, it's a 10" saw blade that I was thinking about _cutting_ with a bandsaw, because I happen to have a metal-cutting bandsaw and a useless saw blade.

I hit a nail with the blade, and mangled the carbide teeth very badly. It's not worth repairing, so this seemed like a reasonable use for the thing in an idle moment of contemplation.

I've never really had a problem, except with the damn splitter getting out of whack and screwing up my cuts, incidentally. I can see where it's a good idea though, and I've been absolutely bored out of my mind lately trying to come up with a new project to do on a budget of $0.00, so making a new splitter out of the old saw blade sounds like a fine way to kill time, even if I never install the thing. :)

Reply to
Silvan

Reply to
Ramsey

'Cause the saw blade was free. :)

Proved to be pretty much impossible to cut correctly, so now I have a bunch of weird curvy pieces of saw blade in the trash.

I decided I'm not quite that bored after all, so I just whacked on the old one until it was closer to being flat, and I'll use it until it annoys me (ie when I bend it by looking at it funny), at which point it will probably go back to its dusty place on the shelf under the router table.

A piece of sheet metal would be better, but I'd still have a lot of trouble cutting the curve. I'll have to think about that some day, when I'm more bored. :)

Reply to
Silvan

I never use mine.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

If they're so safe, why don't we require them for kids on school buses?

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

Did you know that eating pickles will kill you?

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

That has always mystified me.

Doug Miller

He was right. Safety should be a matter of personal decision.

When I was a kid, you just got on your bike and rode away...and had a good time. Now...you've gotta wear a helmet in many cities.

And air bags have probably killed as many people as they've saved.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

In high mass vehicles, the G's experienced in almost all crashes are minimal. With a busload of little one, if there was a crash that involved a need for rapid evacuation, one bus driver would not be able to help them all out of seatbelts rapidly enough.

The static's for bus riders safety is so good, there has not been a need for seatbelts, vs. the negatives of seatbelt wearing.

Reply to
Morgans

So...are you still holding to your above statement?

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

That's MY argument. That's why *I* don't wear one.

Cops never bought my argument, however.

P.S. We just had a school bus accident just a few miles from my home. The bus was broadsided by a semi.

At least a dozen of the kids were thrown into the roadway...the bus was pretty much torn in half. The kids that remained inside the bus were thrown everywhere, of course.

Miraculously, no one died...probably only because of the stream of helicopters that transported them to area hospitals...the closest one about 20 miles away.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

Well, then, I'd ride that train, have fun.

Reply to
RM MS

Try cutting a board with a splitter fin BIGGER than the blade, then tell us all how it went . . .

Reply to
RM MS

If you truly cannot bear to toss the saw blade out, chop it up into various-sized cabinet scrapers. If you don't know what those are, and don't want to say so in public, email me.

Reply to
RM MS

"RM MS" wrote

This is rec.woodworking. Most readers are hobbists, not pros. You are advising amateurs as well as pros to run without a blade guard, if I understand you correctly.

Reply to
Joe28

Send me the blade and I'll send you one back.

Reply to
Ramsey

Yep, same here. Been a *long* time since I was a kid...

[snip accident story]

I already had a bike when I bought one for my son, along with a helmet. I bought a helmet for myself too (my first ever, at about age 33) -- and use it every time. How could I tell him it was important for him to wear a helmet, if I didn't wear one too?

Doug Miller