Best conversion gun, compressor usage with HVLP sprayer

I was leaning towards 4-stage turbine systems, such as Fuji Q4, but could not convince me for the high price. The second alternative is Campbell Hausfeld compressor with 60-Gallon vertical tank, 7 HP motor. The fixed structure is acceptable in my furniture shop.

The question is, what is the "best" conversion gun for this compressor? In addition of giving good finish, it should be ergonomic to use and easy to clean.

A side question is, where the compressor should go? In the finishing room with the spray gun, in the main workshop area for easy access, or outside to reduce the noise?

+++ Ollie
Reply to
Ollie

It's hard to say what is best. A lot depends on the types of finishes you want to spray and the size of the items you'll be spraying, as well as the amount of spraying you'll be doing (with choices between gravity feed, pressure feed, and siphon feed types). I'd suggest having a look at

for some good info and call them or email if you have specific questions.

You'll want the compressor outside of the spray room and indoors. You could get air lines piped in and will need appropriate filtration and moisture traps.

Reply to
mp

Hi Ollie, Frankly I would question whither a 7 HP compressor, lines , filters and a good gun are going to be cheaper than the Fuji. However, if you go this route and are in the US I suggest you look at the guns at this site. JG

http://www.homesteadf> I was leaning towards 4-stage turbine systems, such as Fuji Q4, but could

Reply to
JGS

Reply to
Wilson

I've got an Accuspray 10 gun (turbine) that's great for fairly thin finishes with a two stage. That said, my pal up north has the same gun in the compressor (conversion) model. He produces excellent finishes with one and two part automotive finishes (Ford tractor restos). He runs his off a 1-1/2 HP wheelbarrow Emglo and is happy with the cycle times.

Reply to
Eric Ryder

I have a DeVillbis "Finish Line" conversion gun. I run it off an honest

3hp compressor. This is not max hp or "developed" hp but a motor that draws about 18 amps at full load at 230 volts. It keeps up with the gun with no problem.

bob g.

mp wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galloway

Thx folks. Now, I know where the compressor should go. The remaining and new questions are:

  1. What kind of filters, regulators, valves, and plugs are required in the air pressure line from the comressor?
  2. At Homestad Finishing they had several conversion guns. Which one of the Accuspray models has the best technolgy and which ones are old and obsolete models?
  3. What is the right needle size for oil based polyurethane?
  4. Which of the DeVillbiss Finish Line guns (or Prime Time or GTi) models has the best technology and which models should be avoided?
  5. Comments on the Porter Cable PSH1?
  6. Why the Wagner guns have so bad reputation?
  7. Comments on Apollo guns?
  8. Is pressure feed (or pressure-assist) required for good woodworking applications?

+++ Ollie

Reply to
Ollie

This can be quite involved or quite simple. You can use iron pipe and plumb in traps and drain valves, or just run a hose from the compressor to your gun. Basically, you should have a particulate & coalescing (removes oil) filter not too far from the compressor. You'll want a moisture trap farther on down the line (works better once the air has cooled a bit, and perhaps a small button unit that attaches directly to the gun, or close to it.

It depends on the gun and the brand of finish you're using. The viscosity of the finish can be measured with a viscosity cup. The viscosity cups have handles and a of hole of a certain size at the bottom. You dip the cup in the finish, and count how long it takes to drain from the cup. A gun/needle combination would have a recommended range of finish viscosity, for example

20-25 seconds through a Ford # 4 cup. You would thin the finish, if needed, to achieve the recommended timing range.

Pressure feed guns can spray a wider range of finish viscosities. You can get gravity and siphon feed pressure attachments, but most of the time what is being referred to is a remote pressure pot of a gallon or more that supplies finish to the gun under pressure. There are several advantages; there is no attached cup therefore the gun is small and compact, you can spray in any direction, even upside down, and you don't have to refill every few minutes. Pressure feed is great when you have a lot of spraying to do and will be using the same finish over an extended period of time. The disadvantages, other than the extra cost, is that cleaning up and changing finishes is more time consuming. I have gravity feed guns and find them the most practical for my needs.

Reply to
mp

  1. I'll be surprised if you can shoot poly right out of the can.
  2. A pressure pot or pressurized cup will save air for atomizing the finish, not moving product to the aircap as siphon guns do. The remote pots and fluid hoses are a hassle to clean (hell, the guns are a hassle to clean period).
Reply to
Eric Ryder