HVLP "Conversion" gun

Anybody have any experience with the cheap HVLP conversion guns that hook to a normal compressor vs. the real deal systems with a turbine? The conversion guns are MUCH cheaper, which leads me to believe that they must not be very good.

For example, Amazon sells a Wagner one for $139.

a gun like this good enough for a hobbyist?

Reply to
Josh

> Is a gun like this good enough for a hobbyist?

Reply to
HMFIC-1369

Simple is better..............

> Is a gun like this good enough for a hobbyist?

Reply to
HMFIC-1369

I was looking at a Lotus Elan painted with a $ 79.00 (US) HomeDepot (Husky) HVLP conversion gun. A MUCH better job than I have seen done with a $500.00 Iwata gun. I have sprayed a lot lacquer with a HVLP conversion gun (DeVilbiss) with excellent results.

Having said all that it, it makes me draw the following conclusions: If you're no good at spray painting, a good gun isn't going to help you. If you take your time to learn proper viscosities and spraying techniques, a reasonably priced gun like the Husky HVLP will be more than sufficient. The only other thing that could make a difference would be durability and whether or not the gun can handle waterborne (rust/stainless steel parts) paints.

ANYthing with the name Wagner, costing as much as $139.00 would make me proceed with caution. Those people sell a lot of suspect products.

YMMV

Reply to
Robatoy

"Josh" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Josh, I think so. Mine is from Harbor Freight (horrors!) and I'm very happy with it. Just finished using it to spray the eaves and fascia board on my house. All the way around. Latex exterior thinned with Floetrol and water about 12%. Two quart cup with hoses connecting cup to gun so I can spray upside down if I want to (need to for eaves). It should spray thinner material even better as latex is asking a lot. I just havent needed to use it for that yet. Oh yeah, and I filter the paint as it goes into the cup to minimize the chance of clogs. Keep it clean between uses (goes for every spray rig). The price was right (around $100 I think) and I have gotten my miney's worth.

Bill

mail to: double u schoenbeck at cox dot net

Reply to
Bill Schoenbeck

Thanks for the info. I share your opinion about Wagner. That was just an example, not one I was seriously considering buying.

Reply to
Josh

Iv'e had very good luck with the Porter Cable HVLP conversion gun. Have sprayed lacquer, polyurethane (which I always had trouble with when I sprayed it with my regular high pressure air atomized gun). I even did an old car with Dupont automotive enamel. Not perfect, but much better than expected.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

I have the same gun and it will spray latex if thinned enough but it is very slow on a big surface. For fascia and eaves it would probably be ok.

OTOH, it does a good job with oil(Rustoleum enamel). And, it works great with stains.

Takes a little time figuring out how to get the best results, but I think a larger orifice would help latex spraying.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

George, Yeah, my experience with large surfaces is the same. I bought the gun two years ago to paint eaves on an addition to the house. Worked so well I tried it on the ceiling in the new bathroom. Spray pattern was so narrow I gave up and went back to rollers. It really is great for areas of detail and esp when trying to spray upside down.

Happy to hear of your good experience with oil based and stains. i eventually plan to use it for that purpose. I wish other size orifice's (orificii ??) were available for the gun. I have wondered if tips from other guns will fit it since it is likely a copy of another gun. Just need to find out who they copied.

Bill

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in news:4Bpve.359071$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Reply to
Bill Schoenbeck