Best chop saw, without any slop

Looking for a new ChopSaw without any side to side slop. Any recommendations?

Reply to
Tim

Been pleased w/ the DeWalt 12". I think any of the quality ones are ok.

Don't have any personal recommendations if looking for sliding type...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I replaced my Delta CMS with a Bosch Sliding Compound Miter saw. If you can afford it, get the Bosch SCMS. Dick "lost all faith in Delta products" Durbin

Reply to
Olebiker

Bosch or Hitach are pretty much the standards from what I've seen.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

IMO, a CMS is less sloppy than SCMS; less moving parts.

Among the brands, hmmm.. good Q.

I kinda liked the newest Delta 12" dual bevel, but when I bought the Dewalt for $209 I had to make the leap.

A lot of folks like the Dewalt, but at least to me the fence and table do not meet at exactly 90 degrees. How that plays out in time, I'll guess I'll find out.

Reply to
nospam_coloradotrout

I've done a of mitered moulding, quite a bit of large sizes and have never had a problem w/ mine...it's roughly 10 years of age by now...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

At the risk of starting a long digression, what caused yo to lose your faith. Mine is troubled.

Reply to
Kevin

The Delta CMS I had came with a blade that was a throwaway, it was incredibly noisy, and took constant maintenance to keep it so that you could rotate the bed.

My perception of Delta products except the Unisaw is that the company is relying on its reputation to sell products that are of less quality than those available from other manufacturers. Frankly, I am finding better quality in Ryobi products than in Delta these days. YMMV Dick Durbin

Reply to
Olebiker

Depends on precisely Delta product, of course...

Delta has definitely gone the route of introducing many products specifically to compete w/ low-priced lines of other vendors...a premium based on brand is a benefit of having a brand name. Unfortunately, it's like a personal reputation--easier to tarnish than rebuild.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Yeah, all the user based positive feedback is what sealed the deal (along with the 209 pricetag ;-) ) for the Dewalt. I was looking at double or more for the Delta or Bosch. Bosch has less cutting capacity, and I kinda/sortta wanted the dual bevel. The $209 unit was a refurb (looked like new) at a WW show where they were selling them for $229. I bought the show display for the $209.

The fence alignment still bugs me, and when tighten>nospam snipped-for-privacy@mesanetworks.net wrote: >>

Reply to
nospam_coloradotrout

That's because no corner in a room is exactly 90 degrees. But, seriously, my DeWalt is accurate enough for me. I avoided buying a sliding miter saw, just because there's something else to be off kilter.

Reply to
Phisherman

Phisherman wrote: ...

Not all of it (in fact quite a bit) is architectural...a fair amount (and most of the really larger) is on pieces like secretaries and clock pediments, etc. I tend to build them close to square...but I'm not always perfect... :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

nospam snipped-for-privacy@mesanetworks.net wrote: ...

OK, I was using it yesterday to cut bed mould on corner pieces for the barn...2 1x4's joined at edge w/ 1/4-round, a 2-1/2" long square section at the top for the mould to fit against w/ a 8" or so long piece of drip edge on the top...looks pretty dressy and is duplicate of the original detail.

Anyway, while cutting these I took the time to actually check the fence/table...I couldn't get a 1/1000 feeler gauge behind the square blade at the top of the fixed fence although there was a glimmer of light...the adjustable side was a little over 1-thou...couldn't get the

0.002 gauge in w/o releasing some of the pressure on the square. That's within the tolerances of any moulding I've ever seen.. :)

Of course, this is a ten year old saw...while new ones appear to be make the same way, I don't know if the finishing is still up to the same standard (or whether I just happened to get one that turned out to be dead-on).

The one thing I would like to see different is a way to close up the fence gap more on the left side where the angle blade clearance relief is...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

that is better tolerance than my new.. ah.. refurb one

the fixed fence to table is 90 deg. or close enough -- probably withing the .001

the slid>nospam snipped-for-privacy@mesanetworks.net wrote:

Reply to
nospam_coloradotrout