Bench Lockdowns for Machinist Vice

Woodsmith No. 161 tips & tricks featured these Bench Lockdowns for a Machinist Vice, that used cam levers and rubber bumpers in the dog holes to anchor a mounting board to a workbench. Just wondering if any of you have made this, because I'm stumped on finding suitable rubber pieces. I've tried Reid's and I've tried Mid Atlantic Rubber. I'm guessing there is some commonly available item to use, but I can't find it. Any suggestions? Thanks. Hope this was better than the spam I have to wade through on this group lately..

Troy

Reply to
TSW632

If my understanding of the concept is right, you need a piece of "rubber dowel" that's just slightly smaller in diameter than your (round) dog holes. (Actually, you might could use it with square dogs too, but with a square piece of rubber.) IAE, you'd then bore a hole in the middle of the rubber. This would be easiest on a drill press. Clamp a piece of plywood to the table, and chuck up a 3/4" bit. Drill a hole not quite totally through the plywood. Now change bits to one that's the size of your bolt/threaded rod that came with the cams. Put the 3/4" rubber piece into the 3/4" hole and drill the smaller hole in the center. Now you've got your rubber piece.

Not sure where you get the round rubber pieces though. Which effectively makes this post no help whatsoever. Sorry. JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Auto Parts. Various OD/ID hoses available.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Well,.... if you really wanna do it that way, I can't help you.

I think I saw that hint, and I thought it was way over-thought. There are simpler ways to do the same job.

I mounted my machinist's vise on a piece of 2x6, with a piece of 2x4 fastened (securely with lag screws) below it. When I want a machists vise, I put the 2x4 part in my wood working vise, and Bob's my uncle. I even was smart enough to arrange things so that I can have piece vertically in the vise, and have it clear the 2x6, so that it can run all the way down to the floor.

I also fixed a nice bracket for the vise on the side of my bench for when I don't need it.

Old Guy

Reply to
Old Guy

Thanks guys, Saw the "bench vise to hold this" b4, and that's amost where I'm at. But I like the flexibility of the bumpers (location on the workbench) better, because I've already promised that design to Dad. I will be checking the auto parts places next. I appreciate your chiming in, as i know for some of you, it can be a chore like it is for me to slog through the spam.

Reply to
TSW632