Beginners Syndrome

I did that too--I had circle and arrows (connecting them, so I didn't forget any)--and a paragraph about each one, explaining what each one was, to be used as evidence against me... (assuming you know how the song goes...)

Reply to
Bill

Scaling isn't crucial but you do admit that they didn't rely on memory for every detail.

Reply to
krw

I never advocated that either I just said the "software between the ears" was capable of doing all the calculations, and for an old guy with experience doing things that way, he can do it faster than he could on a "confuser"

Reply to
clare

I was amazed to see him on PBS the other night. He is stil trying to be the person he was the 1960's.

PS for the "children" who are reading this we are talking about Arlo Guthrie

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

I typically figure things in my head and use drawings/measurements, in tand om. I generally like curvy constructions, so it's hard to figure, exactly , a curve or matching curves, in my head. I measure for the basics, then when it comes to forming the mirror image curves, I back off, "pass my eye" , then proceed to form the matching curves for each side, in essence, wingi ng it and making adjustments, as I go.

Sometimes, my "beginners syndrome" issue is "beginning the project", but mo re often I suffer from "finishers syndrome".

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

You said nothing about paper and pencil. But now that you have, yes that is how it was done, me included, before computers. I suspect calculations were done on paper too.

Reply to
Leon

Actually you just reworded what you said above. This time you left out every bit as accurate a job.

I think we agree with you now. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Yes, with the cone shaped sand paper inside.

I have one of those. I like

I still use a regular pencil with wooden pencil in the shop, I don't want to misplace a decent pencil. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

There are two positive aspects:

1) That's why we have trash cans. 2) Mistakes are part of the learning experience.
Reply to
joeljcarver

Some on paper, some on what is used to make paper (scraps of wood) and some right in the old cranium. I know some old guys that could give you the cosin of an angle faster than you could enter it on a keyboard, calculate the number of board feet of limber in a log. or on a train -car, and lay out a tennon or a doevetail joint with an engineers square and a compass quicker than you could enter it in Autocad..Usually without writing anything down other than the final required numbers.

Reply to
clare

No doubt. But some if it has to be written down somewhere. I really miss drawing ellipses with a bow compass.

Reply to
Leon

i was thinking salvage it or the fireplace

mistakes are the learning experience

Reply to
Electric Comet

Electric Comet wrote in news:n32ptk$apd$1 @dont-email.me:

Mistakes are only part of the learning experience. Success is a critical part of the experience as well. In fact, learning is a constant process of knowledge gathering, knowledge testing and feedback. These three stages are nicely separated for writing, but can happen at the same time or not at all or any combination thereof.

My biggest advantage in the shop is that I play dumb: I don't know I can't do something. I attempt it, and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Buy a good apron to hold your pencil. I recommend a Rockler cabinetmakers Mechanical Pencil for around 10 bucks. It comes with a box of thick and strong 2mm lead, and a sharpener. Really nice for the shop.

Their shop apron is decent as well, for around $20, on sale. If you are over 6'2 and 280 or so, it won't fit, otherwise, pretty decent apron. This is the one I like:

You won't misplace your pencil if it's a really nice one, and you have a handy place to keep it.

Reply to
Jack

That's not a bad price for a leadholder and leads these days. But all it is is a standard draftsman's leadholder and a box of leads.

Reply to
J. Clarke

That would be a long held habit I would have to break. From my school drafting days the pencil was always laid down to prevent point breakage. We probably resharpened/fine tuned our drafting pencils 40~50 times per class.

When I use an apron, seldom in the summer because of the heat, I use this one.

Leon

I buy 10/$1 .7mm or .9mm mechanical pencils and scatter so many around the house there is always at least one within sight. ;-)

Reply to
krw

even if the mistakes are minor the fear of making them is the thing that i see happen to a lot of people they have high expectations they screw up they give up

the expectations should be reset and try it again

as you say it is continual process humor and sometimes swearing helps too

speaking of expectations i got a book of wood art and i want to make all of them

but my expectations are that i might make only one of them

there is a wooden mat that has caught my attention god help me my expectations are low on reproducing it exactly but i will be satisfied to have a usable facsimile

and it may only be placemat size

Reply to
Electric Comet

Apron? APRON?? Heh...I just wear old clothes and wipe my hands on them :)

Reply to
dadiOH

I have a nice leather apron, though I do not make marks with pencil, cutting down on carbon foot print ya know.

Mark

Reply to
Markem