Bed design

Hey,

I'm looking for feedback on a bed I am in the process of designing. Comments welcomed:

you

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Simple design, I can post on a.b.p.w. or e-mail you a picture of a similar bed I built for a customer several years ago. The design is very similar except the top centers of the head and foot boards are at and angle. Not saying that is better but you may like to see that design.

Reply to
Leon

Ok I'd like to see that. I can't get abpw anymore. Can you send to b g r e l l a at garagewoodworks.com. (remove spaces) Thanks

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

You got mail.

Ok I'd like to see that. I can't get abpw anymore. Can you send to b g r e l l a at garagewoodworks.com. (remove spaces) Thanks

Reply to
Leon

Nice! Very nice, just like it is. But you asked for comment so this is what comes to mind for me.

When I have curves, I like to echo them a few places in the piece. You could echo the vertical curves on the pickets in a horizontial plane. You could be super agressive and make the project much harder by adding a similar gentle arc to the underside of the top beam but, that would mean curved tennon shoulders at the tops of the pickets. Very cool but very hard. Another approach is to apply some flat moulding to the face of the upper beam pushed up against top with a similar curve with shoulders like you have on the pickets. Make sense?

For the headboard, I would pull the bottom beam up such that the top of the beam is 1 to 2 inches above the top of the mattress or at least equal. I think having the pickets die below the mattress won't look right. Of course I would add the same molding at the upper beam to tie in the curves.

Finally, if you are into fine-work, you could put some simple string design, maybe in brass, on the center picket of the foot and head.

You might also experiment with the center picket be> Hey,

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

It looks nice, but one suggestion related to the above post is to make the slats perfectly rectangular instead of curved. I like the idea of echoing the curve, but if you made the slats totally straight, you wouldn't need to have any curves. I don't know...I just like the mission style look.

Reply to
karmstrn

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I am going to see if I can work the curve into another portion of the design. I will repost the final rendering and I look forward to more interesting feedback

Thanks!

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Thanks for the feedback. I am going to try a few of your ideas insilico. Thanks

Reply to
GarageWoodworks