Bath Vanity Question

Finally reached the last stage of a bath remodel. I'm planning a small bath vanity, frame and panel sides, with legs rather than extending the cabinet sides all the way to the floor. In this case I'd rather leave the existing baseboard and 1/2 round in tact. My question is how to treat the sides of the cabinet on the wall side of the case. I plan to have a frame and panel cabinet back with legs parallel to the wall with the back panel frame dadoed into the side frame and panels. Would it look OK to leave the back panel with and 1-1/4" gap to the wall as long as the vanity top and backsplash is mounted flush to the wall. or would it be better to extend the stiles on the sides above the baseboard out to meet flush with the wall. Not sure what is typical or best in this case, thanks.

Here is a link to the style that I have in mind:

d.williams

evodawg

to the wall with the back legs. If it was a completely open style, that might change.

Why" ... a much cleaner look, and gaps like that accumulate undesirable things and are hard to clean in that type of environment.

In addition, I would also consider not putting a back on the vanity at all.

IME, it is much easier to deal with plumbing with no back, and if you use escutcheons on your pipes, you get a much cleaner look inside the cabinet in the off chance your MIL is looking around checking things out. :)

Just my tuppence ...

Reply to
Swingman

IMO there is no perfect way to integrate a fee standing vanity into the base set up in most baths. If you notice the photos, they have strategically placed a basket on the near side so you don't see what's going on with the base running behind the cabinet. The close-up view however does show that they left the cabinet away from the wall so I will assume the base runs behind it. With this particular cabinet it looks as though the legs are straight on the ends so I would see no problem with removing the existing base and then running it into the cabinet legs. If you can't get under the cabinet to run the piece between the legs (if you can still see it) run that piece first, set the vanity and then run the ends into the cabinet legs. Since you did state that you would rather leave the base and shoe in tact, I see no alternative than to pull the cabinet away from the wall. I guess that's what they thought too.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.