Bandsaw Duplicator opinion

I see where Lee Valley has it for $19.95. What do you think about it, is it worth getting? Thanks

Reply to
Ace

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 05:13:19 GMT, "Ace" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

$20 for that? hmmm..

IMO (not IME) - it would still take some skill and a steady hand to use to get a really good result. - as shown it would need an interesting template to do fine work.

***************************************************** Dogs are better than people.

People are better than dogs for only one purpose. And then it's only half of ofthe people. And _then_ most of them are only ordinary anyway. And then they have a headache.........

Reply to
Old Nick

You can make the same thing in a about 5 minutes with a small piece of scrap in your pile. Using a 1x3 by 6" or so, cut a square notch out of the end grain and round it. Lay that piece of wood on top of another that is only about 2". Place and clamp your new jig on the table so that the cut out portion is around the blade. The piece you want to duplicate runs against the cut out portion and the piece you are cutting runs under it to be cut by the blade. Clear as mud?

Don

Reply to
D. J. Dorn

I was faced with the prospect of making 6 sets of these:

my kid's school out of 1/4" Baltic plywood. After I got the patterns (which were free), I spent about 2 hours making templates of the curved pieces, as near to perfect as I could. Once the templates were done, I taped together the plywood and cut the pieces, 6 at a time (with a new 1/4" Timberwolf), guided the Lee Valley duplicator. Got everything cut out in a day, very little sanding, even have half the double-sided tape left that came with the duplicator.

I'm not sure when I'll use it again, but it really came through for me.

Michael Latcha - at home in Redford, MI

Reply to
Michael Latcha

Ace, If it's the one that is a long 'pin' attached to the blade guide, I can give you a bit of my experience.

If you intend to only make pieces like Mike Latcha - straight or wide, sweeping curves - it MAY work out. However, my attempt cost me a ruined template.

I wanted to make a Rose Arbor for Joanne, for over our front entrance walk. It was to be from 2x4 stock. The top frames had corbels on their ends, and six more corbels had to be cut - 3 for each side - to go between the ends. The idea was to stack two or three of the 6in long blanks, attach the 1/4in template and cut them out. It would be quick and they would all match.

There was no instructions with the 'duplicator' but it looked straight forward, with the picture on the package. I set it up and started to cut a 'practice sample' from some 3/4 scrap. Because of the unavoidable gap between the pin and the teeth of the blade, it WILL NOT follow any kind of short curve. As the pin followed the template, the blade cuts another - changing - path . . . and cut a large chunk off the template !!

I've tried to attached it a couple of different ways . . . it simply won't 'copy' as I expected. The device that seems to have the best potential, is the simple self-made jig illustrated in several of the books. Basically, a narrow piece of stock with a flat, shallow 'notch' filed in the end.

Ron Magen

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 15:27:01 GMT, "Ron Magen" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Ah! Good. My impression is borne out.

People are better than dogs for only one purpose. And then it's only half of ofthe people. And _then_ most of them are only ordinary anyway. And then they have a headache.........

Reply to
Old Nick

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 15:27:01 GMT, "Ron Magen" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Apart from the caft that there are wooden makeups that work, I can't understand why that gap is "unavoidable" except for the shortcomings of the design. It should be adjustable, right up to the blade IMO.