Bandsaw blade help

I was resawing a fair amount of southern yellow pine on the bandsaw, it's dry, it's been floor joists in a warehouse for the last 100 years.As I was cutting I got a whiff of a burning smell & stopped to check. The blade has a fair build up of pitch, on the teeth, in the gullets ,but mostly on the back of the blade. The back of the blade is like you smeared a very fine coat of glue and dusted it with fine sawdust. The tires are coated the same too. So, what is the best way to clean this? Don't think I can do it with the blade on, can I? Is it anything to be concerned about or is just normal with this kind of wood?

Thx, Chris

Reply to
Chris

Clean with mineral spirits. Yellow pine is very "fat" (lots of resin). Most/many softwoods have resin too. One thing, keep the interior of the saw clean...yellow pine is also hard and that equals heat. Heat, sawdust and resin = fire.

Reply to
dadiOH

Use some mineral spirits on a cloth, hold it on the blade and manually rotate the blade backwards to clean the blade. May have to use a small brass brush to scrub also. Be sure to clean the tires also and the guides.

After that, I spray some DryCote on the blade and that helps but pitch is tough.... I would have thought that any pitch pockets in that old of wood would have crystallized by now.

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

Cleaning the blade and tires are parts of a total bandsaw tune up. Mineral spirits, like others have stated, will clean the metal blade. Some solvents may attack rubber. I believe Duginski talks about using sandpaper wound on a stick to clean some kinds of bandsaw tires.

Reply to
Phisherman

After I was done posting the original message, I read a few then headed back over to the garage where I keep the bandsaw, as I entered the kitchen I could smell a slight whiff of smoke, when I opened the garage door the area was filled with a haze of smoke. I couldn't imagine where it was coming from, I thought electrical? I unplugged everything, then I noticed slight smoke from the bottom of the bandsaw. I felt the machine, it was cool to the touch, I looked behind it and there was glowing embers in the sawdust. I'm not great about cleaning up the sawdust around the bandsaw. I don't have dust collection, I use a shop vac attached by hose to my jointer & planer, but don't both with the TS or BS. I really don't know what was so hot to cause this to happen. Maybe a spark from ceramic guides? A slither of an old nail that was in the wood? I guess I'll never know, but I shudder to think what would have happened if I had not went back there. I'll be mounting a smoke detector now and I'll have to be better about the pile of fine sawdust.

A cautionary tale!

Reply to
Chris

Something to keep in mind.

You were lucky. This was started by a welding spark that smoldered about 12 hours. I worked in this building and we are one of three business that were not totally destroyed. We're rebuilding elsewhere.

?t=5456

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That's why I cautioned you about it. _______________

Nope, just friction.

Reply to
dadiOH

Buy a wheel brush to keep particles off the tires. Iturra sells them for about $7. Others stores sell them as well.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol