Band saw cool blocks?

I recently got ahold of a 1953 12" delta bandsaw ($100.00) and in going over it I saw that the blocks at the top and bottom guides are a red color. Can anyone tell me if these are just a phenolic resin or are they cool blocks? TIA again. Larry

Reply to
larry in cinci

Larry wrote:>I recently got ahold of a 1953 12" delta bandsaw ($100.00) and in going over

All the cool-blocks(tm) I've seen were black.. TM Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

John Carlson

Cool blocks are just basically micarta, far as I can tell. Micarta comes in many colors.

Can you see layers? squiggley layers. or flat layers?

If the blocks are a phenolic, and many years old, I'd replace them.

Hey, good deal on the saw, anyway!!

-Dan V.

Reply to
Dan Valleskey

True for Micarta, buit not for CoolBlocks.

Coolblocks are similar to Micarta, in that they're layers of fabric in a polymer matrix. However Cool Blocks are also impregnated with a lubricant (MS2 ?) which Micarta isn't. This colours their matrix dark grey.

The red blocks that I've seen seemed to be HDPE.

I've not seen plain phenolic blocks, and they'd be more of a brown than red. I don't doubt they exist, but I think they'd tend to overheat and char if you ever ran them too tight.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

my bandsaw has red phenolic blocks. they appear to be original equipment on a saw from the 60's and worn but serviceable and no sign of burning.

HDPE is IIRC heat formable. doesn't seem like it would be a great choice for bandsaw blocks....

Reply to
bridger

Reply to
Mike

............ even better to make your own see:

his link to my site showing how it can be done.

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

Thanks for the all the answers. Larry

Reply to
larry in cinci

Reply to
Woodworker Joe

The Weather Channel? When did they start selling woodworkin stuff? :-)

Seriously, what's TWC?

Thanks

Reply to
wch

isn't this an awfully old thread?

anyway- The Woodworkers Choice. Usually seen at woodwork>

Reply to
Dan Valleskey