Band Saw boxes

Hi, I'm new to the group- didn't even know there was such a thing as Google Groups until today. I like to make band saw boxes, and I'm writing a book for Sterling Publishing on the subject. I'm looking for a couple more boxes to be featured in the 'boxes for inspiration' pages. They must be your own design and well done. I'll need some good pictures, and I will send details to anyone who is interested. Please contact me at snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com if you have something appropriate. Send a small file or two (50K)of your boxes. Thanks, Donna

Reply to
Donna

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Donna

Don't know why the addy was truncated. snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Donna

Reply to
Donna

lets try to fool the computer- delta-omega-nu-phi-beta-kappa then the rest good grief Donna

Reply to
Donna

Reply to
JGS

Because you're using Google Groups.

Except that you're not. You're actually using "Usenet newsgroups" (Google can tell you the rest). These are a worldwide and distributed network of connected news servers. There's no one place that Usenet is located.

The best way to access Usenet is through a client program like Agent (free trial at

You can even use Outlook for this, but it's not very good. You'll need an account on a news server too. Your ISP might have a (usually poor) one, you can use a free service like the one in Berlin, or you can pay somwhere like Supernews for a top-end service.

Usenet is also gatewayed to the web. This used to be done by DejaNews, then bought by Google, but there are others too. Google Groups also maintains a historical archive for 20 years of past postings - very useful.

Recently though, Google have started to Be Evil. They now hide email addresses in usenet postings - including yours. They all came through, but Google presumably hid them from you reading them.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

They aren't being evil at all, they are doing you a favor and they do it to stop the spammers from scraping email addresses from usenet postings. Just write the email address as myname at gmail dot com i think even myname @ gmail .com would do the trick. Also Google Groups is a great interface to Usenet, so welcome to the fray Donna.

Reply to
damian penney

I think they're munging the email address when you view it on google, but not when you view it with a newsreader, so your email address is just as vulnerable as it ever was. The spammers have been harvesting from newsgroups for a lot longer than google's been around.

As to whether Google is a great interface - that depends on who you are, I guess. In my case it's my absolute last choice. If I can read usenet any other way, I do. Today, I can't. :-)

Reply to
s2s

So how does this stop spammers ? Usenet's an open system - any unmunged address on Usenet is already getting hammered.

I hope they're not being Evil, but I suspect there's a revenue model in the offing.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Thanks for the recommendation, JGS; I'll do that. Oops- went there and had a tough time finding anything specific to band saw boxes. Had to search on specific issues and then got every post. That is not too helpful. What am I doing wrong? Is there a location for pictures- or- is there a way to show just posts relating to specific topics? And thanks to the rest of you for clarifying the addy problem. I guess, then, that there are no archives in this group? Donna

Reply to
Donna

Right, but for newbies like Donna munging it prevents it from ever getting on usenet to begin with. You can change the display name to whatever you like, I use damian penney but it could just as easily be the actual email address.

Reply to
damian penney

Okay, I didn't know it was mungless when viewed outside of Google. If that's the case beats me.

Reply to
damian penney