Band Saw

I'm tempted to take a chance on this band saw:

would like your opinions of this band saw.

If you click onto the NSN number (scroll down a bit), you can see some specs on it.... also, click on the pics. The title says 3 phase, but the specs say single phase. There are 3 model numbers pertaining to this saw: 28-350, 49-785 & 28-651. I haven't researched these numbers, yet, to see exactly what each is.

Though I already have 2 Unisaws, I'm tempted to get this one, also... maybe for my brother, if the bidding stays low. It has a larger table top than any of mine. Looks like the motor casing may have damage.

for any help. Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Nowadays, people purchasing 20" bandsaws often intend to use them for resawing as well as other activities. With a 1HP motor, your feed rate is going to have to be pretty slow on a machine this size.

That said, other than the need for a lot of elbow grease (that table top is going to be a bear) this saw is a steal at $150 and likely up to $300 or so.

19 years ago I bought a 14" Delta Rockwell bandsaw that was built circa 1948. I've never had any complaints other than the under-powered motor (1/3HP) that came with it.

I'm a bit confused about your mention of Unisaws. Unisaws are tablesaws, this is a bandsaw. Different animals.

Reply to
Woody

The second link is a Unisaw at the same site/auction. I called Delta and it is a 2001 yr., model 36-943

The band saw is a 1968 model: 28-350. I called to ask if a larger motor can be installed on it. I was told a larger motor can be installed and the same pulleys could continue to be used if the new motor's shaft is the same size as the present motor, ie., wouldn't have to change the pulleys. A 3 hp replacement motor's shaft is 7/8" and it looks like that machine's 1 hp motor has a smaller size shaft, so I may need to replace the pulleys on the machine. I'll call the tool's site to see if someone can measure that 1hp motor's shaft.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

=A0I'll call the

Just out of curiosity, would you actually not buy the bandsaw or change yur mind on what you are willing to bid if you had to replace a $5 pully?

Also, of course you can put in a bigger motor but if the original saw didn't come with that larger motor sized option, there is no guarantee the backbone can handle the torques generated by a bigger motor cutting at capacity. Of course that sucker looks well beefy enough, but I'm just sayin'.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

RE: Subject

3HP = 7/8" shaft

1HP = 5/8" shaft

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I wouldn't think a pulley is very expensive, so initially I was thinking as you. The Delta tech said something about spending 1K for updates and/or other repairs, but didn't give details as to what other needs may be.... possibly guides, bearings, etc.? Those kinds of costs could add up. Maybe I should search for prices of potential replacement parts, too.

The tech also said the original saw could have been equipped with either a single or 3 phase motor and agreed it was a hefty saw, so I would think the beef of the saw will accommodate a 3hp motor or any work load I would have. Since it's on a military base, I think about the abuse it may have been through, also. Good things to think about, though. Thanks.

I presently have a 15 yr old Delta 14", but I find it lacking for resawing most of my lumber I want resawn.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I put a much larger motor on an older Rockwell/Delta 20 inch bandsaw, and it was no problem for the saw. I did later upgrade all the guides to a ball bearing set, and that was the best money spent.

If you are wanting to use it mainly for resawing, I would recommend using a smaller pulley on the motor, to turn the blade a little slower, but with more torque. You will see much better feed rates if the motor keeps its speed up, if you use an aggressive enough skip tooth blade.

Reply to
Morgans

That should be a good saw. You might ask if they have the original fence. Also if you're going to ask them to check the shaft size you might see if they can send you a picture of the motor tag. That should list the phase of the motor. Of course if the price is right, replacing the motor wouldn't worry me.

You should be able to find more info and manuals here.

This site used to be Owwm.com and it's still free.

The serial number here

to put it in the 1967 range.

Bearings and tires should be available and aren't too expensive. You can also find more info on the forums at Owwm.org. That's a pretty desirable saw and a lot of guys there have rebuilt them. As long as the wheels are good and you don't find broken castings, IMO it's a better saw than most comparable offshore saws.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

Update of this auction:

If folks are bidding within 5 minutes of the closing time, they will extend the time for bidding by 5 minute increments. Last I saw, the bidding on the band saw was $700, which was more than I was willing to bid.

The table saw sold for $320.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny