band saw belts

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

I would as well. I don't have any after shots, as I don't own any link belts, and I'm not running out to get one to see if it impacts the finish that I have never had a problem with.

Do you have any before and after shots? I'd love to see the difference. BS are not known for smooth finishes at any rate.

I doubt it would effect the finish at all. Put a nickle on edge with a regular belt, and then with the link belt, that might detect some difference.

I have a power grinder and never wear a mask when grinding steel. I don't get many colds. Have no clue what triggered the few I've had. Maybe you're allergic to the stuff of which your wheel is made.

Reply to
Jack

Maybe that's it, I run my drill press at medium speed 99% of the time. I slow it down only for the fly cutter as it seems unsafe at higher speeds and I think I could set wood on fire at high speeds. Fly cutters turn my safest tool into the most dangerous, imo.

I'm not sure I would trust my self with a variable speed at the touch of a button DP like the NOVA. Yes, I once started my DP with the key in the chuck... I also started my lathe with the key in the chuck, I think I did that 2x, which is incredibly stupid. The lathe I attributed to old age stupidness. The drill press I was young and in a hurry.

Good to know. The only belted tool I have that goes in reverse is my shaper. If any tool vibrates it would be that one as it turns at high speed. My lathe doesn't vibrate enough to notice even when turning an off centered piece. The belt on my lathe is loose as well, so it will slip if I jam something up. Not sure what impact a linked belt would have on that?

I've done the nickle test on my table saw once because people here (you) mentioned it, and it passed, which I thought it would. I think all my tools would pass once up to speed. Start up I'd expect would drop the nickle on most of my tools, but that's not a belt vibration issue.

Reply to
Jack

I am certain the lower speeds hide a lot of potential for vibration. If nothing else fly cutters have an added element of danger because of the asymmetrical shape, easy to get your fingers in the way.

Well that would certainly be something to consider but like most new tools/equipment there is a "getting to know you" period. You probably would only make that mistake one time. ;~)

Yes, I once started my DP with the key in

Well I don't think stupid or old for either, just a normal human. We don't learn everything by reading the cautionary lables, sometimes experience from the school of hard knocks is a frequent teacher. The safety check list is just too long to put into print. Now if you continue to make the mistake, that would be a different matter. LOL

I certainly would not switch belts for the sake of doing so, only to eliminate a vibration introduced by a belt.

I was tickled, for the entertainment value, of doing the "quarter" test on my TS. It passed during start up too. IIRC it took me longer to balance the quarter than to conduct the test. LOL and 700lbs of mass does not hurt. FWIW my saw has two automotive style serpentine belts, a belt for the motor to a middle double pulley and another from that pulley to the arbor pulley. I'm certain that the two vs. a single long belt help to keep the vibration down.

Leon

At the risk of wasting too many words for those on a word limit, I built a compost bin outside a few years ago. Across the front I have 2x4's hinged on one end, and glued in pegs on the other end. I used Titebond III to glue in the pegs. I coated the top of the pegs with the glue just to see what would happen, and keep water out of the peg holes. Well, after about 3 years, the glue holding the pegs in came loose, the coating on top also came loose, but did not dissolve. I gave the glue a fail on that one. Fortunately, the pegs really didn't need the glue, they are a tight fit.

I understand what you meant. It was Kevin who wasted words and time stating, and I quote:

************ "No, in general "industrial" is lower on the totem pole than "automotive", with the latter being somewhat less than "military". Automotive specs are, in general, much more rigorous than industrial." ************ This is just wrong, so I wasted words explaining it to him. Not to worry however, I'm not close to running out of words. As far as you stating automotive belts are higher quality than industrial, I find that unusual, not necessarily wrong.

When I bought the belt for my jointer 10 years ago, I vaguely recall the guy asking what I was using it for, and I'm pretty sure he had two belts, one for cars, one for machinery. It was too long ago for me to remember what he said, or what I bought. I could have used another "link" as I got the belt a bit tight for my likes, which imo is a good reason to buy a linked belt. I don't think the parts store sold them.

Vaguely. Also the $20,000 hammers. The hammers I think were due to balancing the books. Business worries about balancing books as money has real meaning to them (not to mention the IRS). The military could care less, so to balance the books, which are off by a few measly millions, they just change the hammer expense to $20,000 each to get things in line. Poof, books are balanced.

Reply to
Jack

I don't think he's all that bad. He seems to know little, but starts a ton of discussions. Other than those worried about running out of words, someone needs to start discussions, or we'd be looking at blank screens. I don't give a rats ass about his punctuation. If nothing else, it gives those with too many words left something to bitch about.

I keep waiting for them to run out of words, but they seem to have a deep reserve for bitching about his abuse of the kings english. EC completely ignores them, something both hard to do, yet very enjoyable to me as it must really piss them off. I'm not a fan of the spell cops.

As far as "Bozo bins" I don't believe in censorship much, and imo, generally Bozo's have Bozo bins. I have no need to force myself to not read a post.

Reply to
Jack

I have to assume you are wasting all these words tongue in cheek?

Do you really think those jumping on EC for incorrect punctuation and capitalization are trying to teach him anything? He'd be in the "Kings English" newsgroup if he were interested, and would waste a few words replying to the nonsense, but he doesn't. No, the bitching is from frustrated grade school english teachers, or wannabe's, looking for something non-wood related to bitch about.

My guess is EC has a hair up his ass for some old grade school english schoolmarm, and is loving every minute of it.

Reply to
Jack

If the whole machine is vibrating the blade is moving with it. Link belts don't change the quality of the cut, that depends upon the blade and - possibly - movement unique to the blade (wheels, tires, guides). What link belts do is cut down vibration due to power transmission.

Reply to
dadiOH

Too many words.

Reply to
krw

Yes. He's obviously too thick, though.

It's not about the "Kings English". People don't generally bitch about grammar or punctuation (errors). Capitalization and punctuation are all about making it easier for your reader. It's really about respect for your reader.

No just a typical millennial - self-centered pampered brat.

Reply to
krw

2 assumptions and a guess.

More wasted words.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

When the military pays a ludicrous price for some commonplace object it's generally due to some kind of small/minority business set aside, so instead of calling up Kohler or whoever and saying "send us a truckload of toilet seats" they instead have to bring some company that has never seen a toilet seat or a military contract before up to speed in order to meet a social objective imposed by the politicians.

But of course the politicians never take the heat for it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Not nearly as thick as those bitching about it for months on end...

I have no problem reading his posts w/o punctuation. I can see how one with severe reading comprehension issues might stumble, but a normal reader can easily read far worse stuff than his. If anyone needs to respect the reader, it's those bitching about something that "obviously" is not going to change, particularly those also worrying about "wasting words".

You're right that people don't generally bitch about this stuff, because it is always more annoying than the offense. It's exactly why the spell cops are disliked so much.

Perhaps, or, perhaps he simply enjoys antagonizing the priggish schoolmarms running around bothering everyone with their silly words wasted on getting him to conform to the kings english.

Reply to
Jack

Hard not to make assumptions when responding to one guessing and making assumptions. Not to worry though, I'm not close to running out of words.

Reply to
Jack

Some of those cost are back door legit.

Project director: I'm approved for $200,000 for this project as bid but I need you to do more but cannot get approval. We do need spare part that would go on another budget.

Contractor: Sure, I'll gladly do that extra work at no extra charge. BTW, do you need spare lightbulbs? They are $500 each.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

BUT if a machine vibrates it is highly likely the blade will vibrate at a different rate/amount. The blade is spinning and because blades flex there would not be a direct absolute movement in concert with the rest of the machine.

On a planer or joiner or DP maybe no problem. But certainly on a TS or BS.

Reply to
Leon

That's exactly what happened with the famous hammer and the toilet seat. Not strictly legal but it would have cost even more to do it "legitimately".

Reply to
krw

Apparently some are even thicker than either.

Aren't you just special!

Punctuation and capitalization is far worse than a little tupo.

No, just a self-centered asshole. You should know the type well.

Reply to
krw

Reply to
DerbyDad03