band saw belts

It's hard to seek pricing on belts; the online merchants (who don't want returns) favor the link belts because one size fits all, and the local auto parts outfits (who DO have good stock) make little profit on the belts, and don't advertise their full stock.

The last belt I bought, was a third the price of the equivalent link-belt. It works well, no vibration issue (but some of my pulleys, were BIG vibrators; helps to ream them before installing).

For what it's worth, vibration will have different frequency for motor+drive pulley, belt, and driven pulley+blade, so it IS possible to FFT the vibration and find the guilty party. It just takes more work to digitize the rumble and strobe out the moving parts' cycle rates.

Reply to
whit3rd

No, in general "industrial" is lower on the totem pole than "automotive", with the latter being somewhat less than "military". Automotive specs are, in general, much more rigorous than industrial.

Reply to
krw

Hammer, maybe, but never a wrench.

I think it has something to do with the missing punctuation and shift keys on his computer.

Reply to
krw

Hammer?

Can't Touch This!

DerbyDad03

No, he stepped in it, no amount of punctuation or word changes hides that fact. ;~)

Link belts used to patch holes in the soles of your shoes might prevent you from stepping in poo. LOL

Reply to
Leon

You underestimate the ingenuity of the average moron....

-BR

Reply to
Brewster

Good point. On the other hand, I'm thinking about how a grossly out of balance fly cutter on my drill press does not make my DP vibrate severely. Also thinking about off centered turnings on my lathe. It takes a whole lot to get it vibrating severely or at all, far more than a lowly v-belt could possibly deliver. I'm thinking a wheel on a car is attached to springs that allow movement, unlike a stationary tool that is designed not to move so much. At any rate a fly cutter is grossly out of balance vs a v-belt, or a 1 oz tire weight. Does your drill press severely vibrate with a fly cutter?

Reply to
Jack

I'm fairly certain he doesn't know what a band saw tire is, or does.

Reply to
Jack

That's what I always thought. Leon surprised me with the link belt being less than a standard automotive fan belt.

I guess if I were an orthopedic surgeon using a belt driven tool to drill a hole in a leg bone to insert a steel rod I might worry about vibration. Seriously, I never had a belt driven wood stationary tool vibrate severely from a belt, or from a pulley for that matter, other than when the three belt pulley on my planer was loose and about to fall off. That caused some severe vibration, but even then it was more noise than vibration.

Reply to
Jack

That's news to me. To me, industrial describes something designed to last a long time in continuous duty, IE; high strength, superior build lots more money. The term is used often in advertising such as "industrial strength" cleaner, so it means that to more than just me, probably about everyone or the ad men would be using "automotive strength" cleaner instead.

Automotive strength is a term I never heard uttered. Probably because most people think auto's are designed to fail routinely, specifically shortly after the 3 year warranty expires, you can expect frequent failures until replacement.

Military strength is synonymous with industrial strength, but cost 10 times more than industrial strength, and 20-200 times more than non-industrial strength.

Reply to
Jack

Jack wrote in news:o2ha4q$67q$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

You may not feel the tool vibrating, but the vibration could be affecting your finish. It'd be interesting to see some before and after shots.

I do know a link belt improved my bandsaw. It was worth the trip to HF.

Hm... You know I might have that red one around somewhere and not on a tool. If I get bored waiting for the ice to freeze (unlikely, I've got two Christmas gifts to finish that take priority), I might swap the belt on my jointer. It's got recently sharpened and set knives, so it should be a decent test bed.

Oh, btw, speaking of sharpening jointer knives... If you do it on a power grinder wear your dust mask! I didn't and am getting over a sinus/cold thing triggered by it.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

You fools have been "wasting" words on EC about missing punctuation and shift keys since the day he walked on the set. To my knowledge, and his credit, he has never once responded.

How stupid are yins?

Reply to
Jack

The farther the heavier spot is from the center of rotation the more the vibration will be amplified.

Springs on a vehicle are to absorb bumps, struts/shock absorbers prevent over oscillation of the springs.

BUT if you have ever seen a vehicle going down the highway/freeway and the tire is bouncing on a smooth surface that is typically an out of balance wheel/tire along with a worn out strut/shock absorber.

AND a little known fact, most tires are checked for balanced at the factory before they are mounted on wheels. If you look at a quality brand new tire that has never been mounted there is almost always a small wax spot, typically red or white, stuck on the tire near the bead on the out side surface. That dot is the lite location on the tire. It is to be placed adjacent to the valve stem, the heavier spot on the wheel. ;~)

I have not used a fly cutter at all. But concerning that if you upped the rpm on the fly cutter the vibration would be more noticeable.

But virtually all vibration disappeared when I replaced the two factory belts with the link belts. And I might add that the vibration was not much noticeable on the lower half of the speed range with the factory belts.

AND the link belts are intended to be used in a single direction so I'm mot sure how that works on lathes with a reverse feature.

Reply to
Leon

Misleading for sure. In most cases industrial is a relatively top notch rating. My SS CS is the industrial version and readily apparent when compared to the other SS TS's.

Another good example of misleading markings, and my pet peeve. Water proof glue ratings. TiteBond III has always been sold with a water proof rating. If you look up the water proof rating definition the word water proof is only in the title. The detailed explanation of the water proof rating only uses water resistant.

And to really drive home a point, when TBIII was first introduced a magazine did a pretty extensive test on about 10 different wood glues. The results revealed that Water Resistant TB2 was more water proof than TBIII. IIRC today TB2 is now called water proof.

I'm not sure I have heard of automotive strength either, more so automotive quality and in particular regarding belts and adhesives. Adhesives, in particular windshield adhesives, have to meet a specific strength rating.

LOL, I think Military rated or strength is probably pretty high but probably more of an indicator that the buyer, the government, is not concerned with what it is going to spend. Remember those military grade toilet seats? ;~)

Reply to
Leon

EC has certainly held his own. ;~) I don't see his posts anymore unless some one responds to him.

Reply to
Leon

That's the attitude I like to see: Give up!

I'm sure glad I never gave up on my four (now well rounded adult) kids or any of the hundreds of kids that I've worked with via numerous volunteer activities over the years. You think they aren't listening, you think they will never change, you almost think it's not worth the effort. Then suddenly you look around and you see them becoming the person you knew they could be. Not all of them, but since none of them carry signs saying "I'll never get it" you can't give up on any of them.

I'm willing to waste a million words on the hope that just a few of those words get through.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Automotive is "continuous duty" and in a really harsh environment. Industrial environments are downright benign, by comparison.

Utter nonsense.

Nope. The automotive environment is really nasty.

Reply to
krw

Do they make an automotive grade Saw Stop? ;-)

I don't know who they're fooling. Do the great unwashed buy TiteBond?

I prefer TB2, anyway.

"Automotive strength", no, but certainly "automotive rated" or "automotive qualified".

There are strict environmental, test, and tracability requirements for both "automotive" and "military" rated products. That costs.

BTW, the infamous "hammer" and "toilet seat" were a product of federal government spending rules. ...or more precisely, an attempt to get around them, to get something done.

Reply to
krw

Sure, when the world is a nail...

Can't watch that.

Reply to
krw

Incapable.

It's not a competition. You've won, hands down.

Reply to
krw