Back to the future

After being away from my incomplete workbench for several months due to extensive surgery to my left hand, I am now able to get back out there and pick up where I left off.

I am at the point where I have 3/4 inch MDF pieces cut to serve as the left and right vertical supports for the drawers. They are not yet attached to the 4x4 supports.

I *think* I want to pre-drill them both at the same time for the drawer slide screws, then mount them first with clamps, get the screw holes dead-assed level across from each other, then mount the drawer slides.

Another way, after the drilling, would be to mount all drawer slides first and then install the vertical MDF.

As always, you comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

Hoyt W. [address above is correct]

Reply to
Hoyt Weathers

If you are talking about full extension slides, I always mount the drawer slide to the drawer at the bottom of the drawer. I set the drawer and slide on a table and screw the slide on. Perfect up and down alignment. For the cabinet side of the drawer slide I use 2 spacer boards cut to the same length and start at the top. I stand one board at the rear of the cabinet and one at the front. I set the drawer slide on top of the spacer boards and attach with screws. Repeat for the other side. Then determine how far down the next pair of slide should be located, cut that amount from the spacer boards and repeat.

Reply to
Leon

Leon, I appreciate what you are saying, but I have not yet constructed the drawers. I already have the Accuride full extension slides. I am seeking comments on the vertical MDF drawer supports and the drilling thereof.

Hoyt W.

Reply to
Hoyt Weathers

I guess I was trying to address too much at one time. I would mount the vertical supports and not worry about predrilling the holes to mount the slides. Then use the method I mentioned to index the cabinet side of the drawer slides. The screws will easily self tap in to the MDF and or most any soft material.

Reply to
Leon

Thanks Leon. Now we are cooking. I will mount the two MDF verticals to the 4x4s, front and rear, after I measure and cut out two notches on their back ends to clear the 2x6 X bracing I have back there. One 2x6 is bolted outside the rear 4x4s and one is bolted in front of the rear 4x4s. I have three sets of 4x4 SYP vertical supports for everything above them. Thanks for hanging in here with me Leon.

Regards, Hoyt W.

Reply to
Hoyt Weathers

You are welcome Hoyt. Additionally I always build the drawers after I have the inside of the cabinet finished to size. With typical full extension slides you make the drawer 1" narrower than the area that will receive the drawer.

Reply to
Leon

It is good to know that I am not the only one to build the drawers after the cabinet is finished to size. I once knew about the sizing width. Thanks for reminding me.

Hoyt W.

Reply to
Hoyt Weathers