Attention: Washington DC area woodworkers

Hi Gang,

I'm posting on behalf of a great group of volunteer gardeners and urban farmers, who recently posted on Craigslist:

"Any help would be appreciated. Donations tax deductible. I just started a non-profit food garden in DC and with no grants so far, we are running on donations. We are in need of good compost, wood chips, saw dust, seed trays, and the like. If anybody has any good contacts to places where we can get this cheap or free The 7th Street Garden would be very thankful! (We know community forklift and are working with Johnson's, but so far we haven't had luck any other places)"

If you own or operate a mill or otherwise have generated a large supply of sawdust and other woodwaste material (except for pressure treated, of course), will you consider hooking up these fine folks with your stuff? The sites they are developing are truly heinous and are in some serious need of organic amendments. You can either contact them directly or get in touch with me through here.I have an F-150 we can pile high. Thanks gentlemen!

Dave Bockman

Reply to
david.bockman

David ... I'm no where near Wash. DC (but am an urban guerrilla gardener) who handles everything organically when possible.

You got any nitrogen to go with that? Otherwise this year will be even worse than last year. Next year a little better, the third year pretty darned good and the 4th year you'll need to reapply and reset the clock.

Find a green grocer who will set the waste aside. Hit up Starbucks for their used coffee grounds.

Till / plow 1:1 garbage / sawdust by volume into the ground 6 weeks or so before planting. Let it rot. Technical name is "sheet composting" DAGS.

Best wishes,

Bill

(I put my sawdust on my paths and just let it sit. I got plenty of time because I have three active 1.5 cu yd. compost bins. When fishermen friends need earthworms, I let them dig in my paths ... saves me from having to turn them. ;-)

Reply to
Bill in Detroit