Anyone use CAD software to design projects?

You mean they finally decided Mac users are smart enough to deal with the > stress of having a mouse with TWO buttons? I'm shocked! :)

Yep, Still that way on some. Apple seems to think that the one button keyboard combo is faster. I frankly don't get it so I just buy a new 2 button mouse and it works fine.

Daddy can I get a matching iPod ???can I? Can I pleeeese, Huh Huh? ....... At least it lets us get cool IT toys because they're considered fashion accessories! :)

If you haven't looked at a Mac since OSX came out you really owe it to yourself to take a look. I dual booted a G4 with Red Hat and OSX and it worked great. Then figured out I could do any Unix thing I wanted on pure OSX and run Office and share files with Windoze losers so reconfigured to just Panther. As much as they'd like us to believe I just didn't find open office was that compatable with Wiondoze office. With Office X I get all kinds of folks amazed that the files work fine between the it and WIndows.

Allen Catonsville, MD

"If they can put a man on the moon why can't they put a man on Lifetime?" Colin Quinn

Reply to
Allen Epps

I think Macs are really nice for graphics work. Windows is the O/S to have to run just about anything. I just installed a Linux box and I'm truly amazed at the speed and security, although Linux is not for the faint at heart. I'd like to see more graphics applications for Linux.

Reply to
Phisherman

[AutoCAD]

Try not to top post as it makes it difficult to quote you in context.

Peformance has little to do with it, for 2D work there is not a lot you can't do with it. With the hundreds of add-on packages there is virtually nothing you can't do with it in terms of technical drawing in the 2D, 3D/solid modelling sphere and NC.

Most draughtsmen cut their teeth on AutoCAD and are familiar with it and it can be tailored to specific needs with add-ons which is why it sells.

Reputation has nothing to do with it. Windows is bug infested and a security nightmare but millions use it nevertheless because people know there way around it - or think they do - and there are thousands of applications for it.

As to the original posters question, I use AutoCAD LT but it's out of his price bracket and I think he'd get most of the function from TurboCAD. He should make sure he gets a decent manual or book with it or he'll likely be lost despite being a programmer.

I don't know whether TurboCAD can import and/or export dxf but it would be another bonus if it could.

Reply to
Frank Shute

I'd like to see more of everything for Linux, for free or not. I just don't LIKE Windows. After a few years in Linuxdom, I can't even stand to use a Windows box anymore. It's just so crappy looking and difficult to maintain.

Reply to
Silvan

NC? That has been my line of work for 15 years now. I have worked for a numbe of shops in that time. None of which used Autocad. Why? Because, in it's stock form, it won't do the job. Buy Autocad, buy an ad on CAM program, hire a programer to turn it into a serious modeler. In the end, you have a high price kluge. Why not, for the same or less money, buy a CADCAM package that has all that, stock, and is a seamless system rather than something peiced together?

The familiearaity issue is some thing to think about if you have a business that needs no more than Autocad can delever and you have a high enough emplo yee turnover that minumum training is an advantage.

I thought you said that people only bought the best? In any case, comparing Windows to Autocad is like comparing gasoline to an automobile. Windows is bought with the knowledge that it, by itslf, does nothing but allow you to run the programs you want to run. A CAD system, on the other hand is bought with the expectation that it will, by itslf, do what you need it to do. How many people need something so specialized that they need to buy a $3000.00 + program as a first stage building block? The majority of users use Autocad with no more customization than changes to desktop layout or a custom toolbar, all of which are available in most quality CAD programs.

If he buys new, Turbocad is out of his price range too unless he buys one of the lower capablity versios. Since he stated a desire to do 2D only, the only thing he would be giving up would be customizabiliy. If he wants to costomize, go with Pro.

and I think he'd get most of the function from

There are a lot of good tutorials available (free). Complete courses if you want to pay for it. They also have one of the most active and helpfull user groups I have ever seen.

It can, in addition to other usefull formats.

Reply to
CW

Try not to top post. It's poor form and it wastes peoples time by having to scroll up and down to see what's being addressed.

Instead edit what your not replying to then write your reply following what your addressing.

See? I have to scroll down to read what this remark is referencing, not to mention having to guess what he's referencing. I don't see what would warrant this type of remark. mayhaps I'm not looking hard enough? Point being no one should have to guess.

Top posting is sloppy. Makes work for many at the convenience of the one.

Not to mention how the rest of this mail is confusing, I don't know if CW wrote parts, if Frank wrote parts, or if there was a third person involved. Very poor form.

(normally I would remove all the following text)

Reply to
Mark

If you aren't smart enough to figure it out, don't read it (I suggest a few reading classes). You might want to seek a little help for that fading memory while you're at it.

Reply to
CW

I don't use a CAD program for my woodworking drawings. Instead I use Micrografx Designer. It's a Windows technical drawing program. In fact, it almost looks like a CAD program. At least version 9 and under does. Since Corel bought out Micrografx they've changed the interface to make it look more like CorelDraw. While Corel is a powerful program it's interface never suited me and what I needed a drawing program for. CAD programs are also very powerful, but but too "technical" for me. Micrografx Designer fit the bill. Too bad the company didn't market the product better and had to sell out to Corel. There are a lot of die hard Designer users out there. If you look you can find versions 9 and under for less than $70. Version 10 is when Corel changed the interface. :-(

You can draw full scale and then re-size the drawing proportionately to fit the page or several pages and print out. You can customize the left side and top tool bar to have the tools you use most (and there are a lot of tools). One of the ways I judge a program is how well I can use it without resorting to reading the manual or help files and just figure things out. Micrografx is just that...easy to figure out. Click on one of it's many tools and see what it does. CorelDraw's interface is so simple I couldn't figure it out!

I'm sure you could use Designer to map out your cuts on a sheet of plywood. Should be really simple.

To do a cutting list I made up a simple Excel spreadsheet where you list all the parts and their demensions and it will calculate the total boardfeet and cost.

Don't know if this helped....

Layne

Reply to
Layne

Top posting ruins the natural flow of a conversation and confuses things. Now, how much scrolling have you had to do here? Quoting is supposed to give a reference point to your answer; not a restatement of the entire conversation. A quick editing to delete the unnecessary crap takes care of scrolling. I never quote more than two paragraphs, MAX. Most of the time it's less, like here.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

I'm smart enough to figure your too lazy to post properly. That is, by convention.

Or is there some other excuse you chose to use? Other than blaming others for your lack of initiative. ?

Sorry, Bud, can't blame me.

Reply to
Mark

I use Autocad 2000 LT and Bobcad 18 to do most of my CNC programing of inlay designs.

William Lee

WilleeCue

LMAO.

You have confused an oral conversation with email.

You need to spend some time off line pal.

I shouldn't laugh, confusing the Web and computer relationships with true socialization is a growing mental illness.

Reply to
Mark

You're not a sociologist, are you?

Reply to
gabriel

Where? When?

Hire it programmed or buy it from someone that has already done it doesn't change anything. You buy a piece of software for way to high a price that won't do what you want then throw money at it trying to make into something. Kind of like buying a Ford Fiesta and adding/replacing parts 'till you have and Indy car. Do you work for the government?

You brought it up and is a frequent reason that people give for buying the full version (of AutoCAD) over LT. For things that are made predominantly by hand, 2D prints are still the way to go. For the majority of manufactured items (machinery, tooling, plastics, ect) 2D detail drawings are becoming less relevant all the time. Why spend the time making a 2D print just so when it gets to the manufacturer, he has to redraw it?

You're shooting in the dark and hitting nothing but air.

Another couple of shots. Both misses.

Yep.

I'm beginning to question your thinking ability.

Clue: To do design you don't necessarily need 3D software.

Nope. Did without for many years but I wouldn't go back to those conditions for anything.

Reply to
CW

Mayhaps not, but it's much closer to email than speech.

Here's a clue, when you reply, and I choose to acknowledge it, will I be listening with my ears or reading with my eyes.

Understand the difference. ??

Reply to
Mark

Being a dedicated Mac user at home and being forced to use Windoze at work, I find that sometimes the best solution to this type of problem is running Windoz software using Virtual PC on the Mac. If you have a G4 or better you probably won't notice much speed difference. I run the Windoze version of Office 2000 on my Mac if I'm doing work stuff because it assures compatibility ( I know the Mac and Windoze versions are supposed to be cross compatible but when it comes to complex graphics they are definitely not). I don't really notice a significant speed difference with Office 2000 - that is using a 900+MHz Pentium 4 at work and a single processor 867 MHz G4 at home.

Reply to
Steve James

Virtual PC emulates a rather poor video card, probably not up to snuff for many CAD programs.

-Bruce

Reply to
BruceR

Although you are right about this...you should remember your signature before continuing conversations like these :)

Reply to
SWalters