3d design software

Looking for suggestions and opinions on 3d design software.

I've been drafting for years with standalone Autocad (mostly 2d) and would like to get into more 3d stuff such as high quality realistic perspectives, walkthroughs, etc.

Seems from what I hear that the most common program for this type of thing is 3d studio. Can anyone tell me if this program has much in common with Autocad?

Thanks in advance, Geo.

Reply to
KG

you might want to look at

gruhn

Look at Sketchup. It seems to have a good rep as a low end 3D program. ArchiCAD does wonders and requires a lot of work to use all its potential. TB

Reply to
tbasc

SketchUp

3DS Max / VIZ (if you have ADT, VIZ render comes with it and I think you can import DXFs into it, which Sketchup does...)

3DS has NOTHING in commong with Autocad...except the ability to import DXF & DWG files. ADT & Max are supposed to be able to talk to each other, but I don't like the artifacts.

Reply to
3D Peruna