Storm shutters

OK after several near miss hurricane, finally Wilma hit me dead in the eye. I am finally reconsidering my decision to not install storm shutters.

I want something that is easy (those that open and close along a sliding rail are easy) but not ugly and reasonably price. I also want it to be as "invisible" as possible when I have it opened most of the year.

Storm panels are too much trouble and require a lot of storage space.

Accordion shutters are pretty ugly.

Roll-down shutters seem to be more sleek and to my taste, I understand they are most expensive.

Are there other choices I have overlooked?

No, plywood is not a consideration.

Thanks,

MC

Reply to
miamicuse

"Don" wrote in news:okBaf.5221$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Do you mean, install the doors as shutters...?

Just from curiosity, at what point did shutters go from being useful/useable, to being useless things that sut got stuck onto exteriors? Would useable ones be all that much more expensive?

((I seem to recall that my paternal grandfather's house, and I think maybe grandparents' on the other side as well, had shutters that could be closed and latched from the inside, and were held open by elaborated-S-shaped wrought iron latches that pivoted in the middle.))

I hope so. Don't forget about the idea of having a companion interactive CD/DVD done up - if oyu don't know anyone who can do precsentations such as that, I can pester ;) my 3D contacts to find someone who would like the work. I'd offer to do it because IMO it'd be fun, but I can only do basic web-type (HTML/Javascript based) stuff - I don't yet have the software to do interactive DVDs, which is prob. what you'd want to have done, along with a CD format (so as to maximize accessability). As above, tho', I'm sure that I could find someone among my 3D contacts who can also do the sort of presentation that'd compliment such a book. THen you could offer CDs and DVDs either with the book, or separately.

- Kris

Reply to
Kris Krieger

painted plywood on hinges? :}

Reply to
zenboom

"Don" wrote in news:q5Saf.4242$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

I've seen a few places (not personally :( - pics, teevee...) where something along those lines was done. I think it's big in Santa Fe and similar areas. I really like the look. Add screens of course. Would Impact glass be double (i.e. thermopane)?

Problem would be keeping out water. OTOH IMO all places ought to be built on a "platform" of sorts for precisely that reason. ((I've lived in a place where rainwater routinely soaked in because the slab was barely above ground water. No excuse IMO for that.))

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"Don" wrote in news:q5Saf.4242$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

OOPS, I hit send before getting to this part (finger twitch :p )

I was meaning, historically. But your point is a good one.

????

I unseratand thriftiness, but if you're lowly, then I'm bottom of the barrel, no, more like *underneath* the barrel, as I haven't yet so much as sold a 3D model to even some or another Poser user =8-O which of course explains the echo from here... OTOH the New computer came at least, currently transferring files and tweaking XP-pro - but once all is set up the sucker ought to model and render like *crazy* so hopefully my productivity will rise significantly =:-D

Reply to
Kris Krieger