Anyone know anything about the "new" Oliver/Sunhill equipment?

Far as I can tell, the vaunted Oliver was bought by Sunhill around

2000. The Oliver website
says their "older" stuff is serviced by an Eagle Machinery, which is located in Grand Rapids, MI (the original home of Oliver).

Thing is, the "new" stuff looks exactly like the old stuff. So who is making it now? And I guess more's the point, where? Sunhill claims to be a designer/distributor, and specifically disclaims any manufacturing capabilities whatsoever.

They've got a 10" jointer that, in my lifetime, I will never deserve. It weighs in at 900 lbs, and I think even the power cord is made of cast iron. Hell, I couldn't even get it into my basement anyway.

But, ummmmm.....it's just $600 more than a DJ20, and aaaahhhhhh.....damn she sure is purty, 'bout large enough to joint a damn phone pole...I could always just buy a new house...

Reply to
wood_newbie

I cannot answer as to the quality or where they're made, I think up in Wa state. I get to use the old machines, a 12" jointer, 14"/16" table saw and 20" surfacer and they are incredible to use. This is in adult ed. that I attend, though I am working more toward hand skills..."neander" more than "Normite".

Do you think this is a good price?

AAvK

Sounds like the molds and dies might have been shipped to the Pacific. Not uncommon. Nobody here wants a factory in their back yard, just the money that having one there would provide.

Reply to
George

I did some wiring in their Tukwila location in Wa. They don't manufacture at this location, just recieve, assemble, and ship. I believe it was all coming from overseas. I know the Sunhill side is imported, I believe the Oliver is now imported, but the literature I took home doesn't specify where it is manufactured.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

I called Sunhill on Friday...not only is it all made over seas now (Taiwan I think), but their Oliver jointers are no longer even the old Oliver castings/molds. Pretty much all new. Made to look very similar, but much of it was redesigned.

I don't mean to indict the quality of the new stuff at all, mind you, it may be very good for all I know. But I guess that was the answer I was wondering about..."Oliver" is just a name now, and the relationship to Oliver Machinery is pretty much just the naming rights.

Reply to
wood_newbie