Anyone have a board stretcher?

I need a board stretcher :-0

I have some ply where the grain is going the wrong way, so it's too short in the direction I need...

Do one of you have that board stretcher :-p

Reply to
woodchucker

I was going to get one, but never got the round tuit needed first...

Reply to
dpb

Actually it can be done. Cut diagonally from on end to the other. Now place the pieces together along that cut line and move the ends in and out according to how long you need them to be. Naturally the result will be narrower as you lengthen the piece so cut wide enough to begin with. And you will have to glue the pieces back together.

I have made a board longer on occasion using this method.

Reply to
Leon

Thanks but I need the width that exists, I was going to enhance it a little with edging... I don't want to enlarge the edging on the other piece. Just have to dig out a new sheet. All these offcuts, and nothing fits the bill.

Reply to
woodchucker

I sent my kid brother out to get one for a project we were working on about thirty years ago. You can borrow it when he gets back...

Reply to
Larry Kraus

He'll need a few yards of shore line to drag it home, after he finds the keys for the oar locks to unlock it.

Reply to
clare

No, no, you don't want a board stretcher. Use a negative kerf saw blade. It works for me.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I usually end up with scrap plywood offcuts like that when I finish a project. I store them away and usually find a use for them where I can cut them into smaller pieces with the grain running the right direction.

Then, I buy a new sheet for the current project, and add any cutoffs to my collection. :)

On the other hand, if it's not located in a visible area, or carrying a load like shelving, the grain direction isn't all that critical. I've used scrap plywood as drawer bottoms with the grain going the wrong direction, no problems at all. I've also used incorrectly oriented plywood where it's hidden by drawers or other parts of the project.

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

The grain direction for me is simply for looks. It would really look off to be facing he other way.

If building a shop thing, and strength is not the issue, I will use it the wrong way.. as I will be the only one noticing...

Reply to
woodchucker

I don't have a linear stretcher, but here is a device that will help all you turners out there (except maybe Ted):

Have fun. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Are you kidding. He's still sitting at the end of the driveway because he's out of blinker fluid.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

If you can use a thinner board, resaw what you have and scarf the

2 resulting planks together.
Reply to
Larry W

Great new product:

Brewster

haha... I remember that I think last years april fools...

I was waiting for him to crack a smile... but he did a great job selling it.

Reply to
woodchucker

He would probably be a good candidate as a user. He mentioned a few times that the product will let you stretch the board up to 20%. With his math skills he may use a lot of it since he wanted to stretch his board 25%. ;~)

Reply to
Leon