What is it? Set 542

I need some help with numbers 3166 and 3167:

Larger images:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Den 24-04-2014 10:14, Rob H. skrev:

3165: Braillie typewriter
Reply to
Uffe Bærentsen
3164 A shock/vibration absorbing mount. We've had one of these in the past.
Reply to
Alexander Thesoso
3166 Wild guess... Based on similarity to tools used for clearing vents on old hot-water radiators, I guess that this is a tool to open/clear a vent associated with a steam boiler.
Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

Posting from my desk top PC in the living room, as always.

3163, boat builders level? 3164, totally no clue. 3165, I have never seen one of these in person, and the owners and operators have also never seen one either. I'm about 99.9% sure I know what this is, but I'll withhold my guess, until I see what others write. My comments are enigmatic, so as not to blind others. Just scrolled down and saw the second picture, and now I'm 100% sure. 3166, not sure. I do believe that photography could be a bit better. 3167, not sure 3168 possibly PVC pipe cutter
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I think it is for Braille, but specifically for communicating with someone who is also deaf: the deaf person reads the Braille, rather than the something getting embossed, which would require a mechanism to move the material being embossed in a controlled manner.

Reply to
Mark F

3163 Inclonometer (angle finder from level) 3165 Brail puncher. Used to make signs. NOt a typewriter, my wife brails for kids and it is a different typewriter. This would probably be used to make the elevator , or room number tiles.

3168 Pipe cutter or glass cutter for a bottle.

Reply to
woodchucker

Number 3167 is a piston ring groove cleaner , 3163 is as someone above said an inclinometer , and 3168 is a PVC pipe cutter .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Den 24-04-2014 13:31, Mark F skrev:

Agree :-)

Reply to
Uffe Bærentsen

After looking at 3168 again , I believe it is used to score terra cotta drain pipe .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Actually 3168 is a Presto Log cutter used to break the log into smaller pieces to get the fire started.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn
3163 - that's a little level on the slider, isn't it? Then the tool is for measuring the angle by which something is tilted off the horizontal or vertical, or could be used to place it at a chosen tilt.

3164 - for binding a place where a heavy cable has been spliced?

3165 - obviously for writing Braille manually.
Reply to
Mark Brader

I want a 3163. It measures the angle of tilt by sliding it around. Where used, I do not know...

Reply to
pentapus

Yes, that's what the owner said it was for.

Reply to
Rob H.

Correct

Reply to
Rob H.

Could be, I still don't know for sure.

Reply to
Rob H.

Inclinometer is right but I don't know if it was for a more specific purpose or not.

Reply to
Rob H.

Several people have provided this answer, which is definitely correct. Thanks

Reply to
Rob H.

That's a good link, thanks.

Reply to
Rob H.

Posting from the usenet newsgroup rec.crafts.metalworking as always. (Also, my living room, for Stormin' Moron. :-)

3163) Well -- it serves to measure the angle of surfaces from the horizontal or the vertical. The calibration is in degrees, though the markings appear to be in some other language than English. Possibly Italian? The markings "D.T.", "DISTANZI" and "ADVANTI" and I can't make out the markings more distance from the end. 3164) Shock mount for shipping sensitive electronics equipment, usually used in sets of four to mount the equipment to the inside of the shipping crate -- or on sets of eight if used on both top and bottom instead of just bottom. 3165) This is a keyboard and press/punch for embossing Braille letters into plastic or paper -- probably paper, given the apparent age of it -- and the lack of a mechanism for indexing the paper or plastic to space the letters in a straight line.

I'm not sure how the paper or plastic is to be held down. With paper, likely just by thumb pressure.

3166) This one looks sort of like a universal clock winding tool. 3167) A strange thing. I could see it being used to unscrew jar lids -- but I'm not sure about the turret with the various widths of projections -- perhaps to fit into lock rings of some sort, with one flat position for normal un-notched rings (or jar lids). 3168) This one, if screwed to a wall or the edge of a countertop could be used either to grip a jar lid -- including puncturing the edge for better grip -- or it could walk around the edge of of a can cutting the top -- and the rim -- loose from the body of the can. Thus it would leave the can rather flexible and harder to grip. And -- it appears to fit only one diameter of can -- a fairly large one from the looks of it.

Now to post and then see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols