Another small victory

The 3HP motor from my Katrina submerged Unisaw fired up the other day. Required $80 bucks for new bearings, new capacitors, new centrifical switch, plus a flush and bake, but not bad to recover a motor that had only been turned on once on the assembly line to check rotation.

The submerged GPE started it after a cleaning and a good dry out. I was amazed at that because it still had water in the plastic case three weeks after the storm when they finally let us in to check on things.

Now if I can get that stock feeder to go.

A little at a time!

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

That's Good news! After losing my house in Allison 5 years, 10 days, and 13 hours ago +/-, my hat's off to you. Into each life a little sun must shine, occasionally. ;)

But not here in Houston this morning, where it looked almost like an Allison re-run. Once again, glad I made damn sure the finished floor of the new house is 4' 6" above grade.

Reply to
Swingman

Once again, glad I made damn sure the finished floor of the new

Yeah, but how far above sea level :~)

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Sea level's not the problem ... as Boudreaux would say: "it's the all dem damn bayous 'tween here and dere".

Reply to
Swingman

I hear that. My Mother in Law lives a good three miles from the Gulf but close to Brickyard Bayou and Bayou Benard. She is at about 13 foot elevation. Got 18" during Camille and seven foot for Katrina.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Swingman and I are about 10 miles apart. I am 81' above sea level. But like Swingman says, its how fast the bayous drain that determines if you get flooded or not.

Reply to
Leon

I'm about 7000' above sea level. No sweat. Also the humidity runs at about 25%. We have an humidifier. potato chip, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

I'll bet Gary Parks would like to hear about that. I assume you know him or know of him...

Reply to
LRod

I know him. Good guy.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Yeah, one of my sisters used to live off the Northwest freeway. After three floods in about 8 years, property got condemned and she was bought out. Something about an overdevelopment problem.

I think those Bayous used to do a better job before all that concrete and asphalt showed up.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher