Advice on how to change bearings on Delta 37-307 jointer

Hi,

I have stripped this jointer down and I have taken most of the rust off. There was a bit of play in the cutterhead so I want to change the bearings. I removed the two bolts from below, which were holding the front/rear bearing housing. Once the bolts were off the cutterhead assembly popped off.

The bearing housing nearest to the pulley came right off. After it was off the bearing slid off. Now I am trying to figure out how to get the other bearing housing off so I can get to the bearing. The bearing housing cannot come off because the cutterhead shaft has been crowned down over the bearing housing. Meaning from the outside, the center of the shaft has been struck so that the edges of the shaft are pushing down, fanned out onto the bearing housing.

I can use a file and file off the portion of the shaft fanned out holding the bearing housing on and the housing should come off. When I reassemble everything and bolt it all back together I think the two bolts holding the bearing housing should keep everything together.

I don't know how Delta expected the bearings to be changed. Is my process the correct one?

Thanks

Alex

Reply to
acolic

Interesting Service Note on the parts list on this jointer on the Delta site:

"Cutterhead Repairs: Special tools are required to remove and replace ball bearings on the cutterhead. When bearings or cutter need replacement, order a complete new cutterhead assembly No. 37-808 or return the old one for repair at:"

A quick check of the Delta site for part 37-808 shows a price of $310.15 USD.

The on-line manuals and parts list are available but don't have any procedures that cover the bearing replacement. You may want to contact Delta Tech support and ask them what "special tools" are necessary or have it rebuilt by them.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob

I'm not sure. I took mine to my local Delta parts 'n repair shop and had them change them out onna 'count of I don't own a press and they do.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100