Snowblower Auger Jammed: need advice on how to take auger apart

Hi!

I own an old craftsman snowblower and the auger won't turn anymore. I think that an object, probably a rock, is logged in there somewhere. The blower is already opened up and split in two, but I can't seem to figure out how to dismantle the auger to remove the object jamming it.

Any help is much appreciated, I would hate having to bring it to a mechanic :-( hehe

Thanks!

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn

Typically you will need to remove the drive pulley, remome the bearings on the blower shaft and ends of the augers. If it is jammed from a rock or simular object you should be able to see it. There is a chance that the gear box from the blower to the auger stripped and the gears are jammed. I have seen it more times than you want to know! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

On most blowers after you seperate the two halfs as you say you have done, then it is just a matter of removing the pulley from the eingine side and sliding the auger and shaft out as a unit. I may be seized in the support bearing. If that's the case remove the 4 bolts from the pillow block supposrt bearing and see if that will help you remove it.

Reply to
Randd01

Have you tried moving the auger in the opposite direstion? NOT BY HAND try to pry it somehow with a 2x4 just to see if it moves. It just might clearyour jam. If not follow the post above. My guess is the tranny gearing is jammed.

Reply to
David Babcock