Adding Pergola to existing deck

SWMBO wants a pergola added to your back deck. I am guessing that either the posts have to be removed and replaced with taller ones, or the rails need to be removed and the top posts somehow tied into the existing posts.

Suggestions, advise, please?

Reply to
Absinthe

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 08:22:22 -0400, "Absinthe" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Sounds like somebody is trying find reasons not to do the job!

***************************************************** It's not the milk and honey we hate. It's having it rammed down our throats.
Reply to
Old Nick

No, just want to do it safely and securely. With the weight of so many 2x6's hanging over my head, I don't want it to come crashing down around my ears and such, or on top of my head...

Reply to
Absinthe

"Absinthe" wrote in

Not sure why she wants it on my deck, but if I were to do it I'd notch out the decking for the posts and lag into joists. Install bracing on both sides and at least to adjacent joists. There will potentially be cantilever force across the tied into joists, so I'd also anchor in concrete. If you're too high, you could add a lot of bracing if pergola is not too big. Account for wood movement.

mw

Reply to
M Wingett

I had a simalr prome and solved it this way: my deck extended 12 feet from the house. I put the pergola post 14 feet out and then used bigger pergola joist to meet code. So the pergol a kinda extends beyonfd the deck all around.

The post out from the deck worked out nicely for hanging plants, etc.

Reply to
Never Enough Money