attaching handrail to deck post

I am wondering the best way to attach the top (and bottom) rails to 4x4 deck posts. I am using the kind with the groove underneath that the balusters fit into (from home depot).

I would prefer not to toenail them. Are there any other better ways? The only thing I can think of is galvanized L brackets, but they dont look so good. Thanks for any suggestions.

Reply to
keylimepie

You could notch the post to accept the rails.

Rich

ConRes