Advice on adding screen room to deck

We have an attached 10 x 12 deck connected to our vinyl sided home and are starting to think about turning the deck it into a screen room. I have a few questions:

- How can I best determine if the deck will support the load of a roof?

If it can:

- Can I drop some posts at the outside corners and brace them within the deck floor?

- Should the outside wall start close to the house be attached to the house?

Thanks

Reply to
rob.ainbinder

It would be good to know if you are thinking of a manufactured screen room or something that you would construct. Manufactured stuff can be very light and the distributor could give you advice on installation.

Reply to
cavedweller

Wooops! I am considering something I would construct. Like this:

I guess I would have to cut the existing posts flush with the deck. They are notched to support the deck.

Reply to
rob.ainbinder

this:

Why not something like this:

cavedweller

Figure out how much the roof will weigh. Then allow fewer people on to the deck.

Or, say the roof will weight 220 pounds. Recall the maximum number of people you've ever had on the deck. Get them and one fat guy to stand on your deck and see if it collapses.

Allow for snow.

??

I think it will have to be if you don't want mosquitoes to come in. But it could be attached lightly, with one screw at the top and one at the bottom, so that when the deck ffalls down**it won't take your house with it.

**Say in 20 or 40 years.
Reply to
mm

It would help a lot if you said where you were. Some places you have to wirry about snow load, farther south you need to think about wind load which is uplift.

Reply to
gfretwell

Hi, I did exactly that years ago. Size was bigger than yours. Living in a cold climate, Deck floor was foam core insulated to R40 and custom manufactured 4 season roof and walls/windows erected. Also installed a heat pump for extra heating/cooling. My deck was suported by concrete piles more than 6 feet deep(frost line)

Reply to
Tony Hwang

"Tony Hwang" wrote

Thanks for quoting Tony, because he's using @gmail, I dont see him directly.

What is the deck made of? Thats your critical factor. Also, if slab, how thick is the slab?

If slab, yes.

Yes, screened too right?

Mine's wood but being replaced in one section about his size with a 3 season room (being south of you, 3 season here means 4 season use).

Reply to
cshenk