AARP Woodworkers - Home Depot Discount!

If you are an AARP member, you can go to the AARP website and buy Home Depot gift cards for 4% off. So, you get a $25 card for $24, $50 card for $48, etc. Limit of $500 worth of cards per day. Says it's OK to buy them for yourself.

Not a whole lot, but hey, every little bit helps. Covers half the sales tax anyway.

-jj

Reply to
JJ

Wed, Jan 18, 2006, 7:46pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (JJ) doth burble: If you are an AARP member, you can go to the AARP website and buy Home Depot gift cards for 4% off. So, you get a $25 card for $24, $50 card for $48, etc. Limit of $500 worth of cards per day. Says it's OK to buy them for yourself. Not a whole lot, but hey, every little bit helps. Covers half the sales tax anyway.

I'm a member of AARP. They'd have to give me at least a 50% discount, before I'd even consider walking into a HD, let alone buying something from there.

JOAT If you can't say anything nice about someone, you must be talking about Hilary Clinton.

Reply to
J T

They figure at least 10% of the cards will get lost, so they make a nice profit on it.

Reply to
Toller

Darn, guess I'd better sell our HD stock.

Walt Conner

Reply to
WConner

I regularly get a case of the ass at both HD and Lowes, so it depends on who pissed me off the most recently that determines where I'm going to shop. Being pissed is one thing... but I don't generally let it get in the way of business, if it's to my advantage.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

AARP won't benefit from the cards if this is similar to most gift-card programs. Companies participate in gift card programs and donate a certain percentage to the charity that is selling the cards (4% is about right for Home Depot, some restaurants go as high as 10%, maybe some a little higher). These cards are sold to charitable organizations through a clearing house that distributes numerous companies' gift cards at the discounted price. The charity then has to sell the card at face value to realize the value of the donation. It sounds like AARP is selling these cards at or near their cost, which is a good deal for the person buying from them. The charity gains no benefit if the card is used or not, their investment is up-front -- only the issueing company benefits from not having the card used. [My wife sells these for a charitable organization, so this is how I have some idea of how the programs work. It takes a whole lot of sales for the charity to recoup its investment and a lot of volunteer hours. Without the volunteer hours, these programs would not yield enough to pay for themselves.].

Mark & Juanita

Thu, Jan 19, 2006, 2:53am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@carolina.rr.com.REMOVE (Mortimer=A0Schnerd,=A0RN) doth sayeth: I regularly get a case of the ass at both HD and Lowes, so it depends on who pissed me off the most recently that determines where I'm going to shop. Being pissed is one thing... but I don't generally let it get in the way of business, if it's to my advantage.

In all the HD and Lowes I've gone in, the HD rates so very much lower in terms of service, items I need, and so on, that Lowes is permanently waaay above it. I actually get good service in Lowes - the help actually can tell me where something is, or at least will find me someone that knows, and they actually have more than one model of whatever. HD just isn't in the same league. But, Lowes is still waaay second to the local Ace Hardware.

JOAT If you can't say anything nice about someone, you must be talking about Hilary Clinton.

Reply to
J T

Heheh, we here call the neighborhood hardware store Gay Value.

They have a lot of shower curtains and doilies, and you have to ask permission to get into the locked area where they keep the tools (keeps the crackheads and trustafarians off their kit.) Rumor has it it's the goto destination for pickups.

Hey, it's a gay neighborhood, and I like it.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

Yea keep sending your money to the AARP so they can support their spokesmen's like Harry Bellefonte. I and my friends have cancelled our AARP memberships.

Reply to
Dave

Reply to
Mike Berger

I disagree strongly with some of their positions (like guns). OTOH, just staying one weekend in a hotel somewhere can result in enough savings to more than pay for the membership.

As an aside, some quirk on their website wouldn't allow me to join unless I entered my wife's name. So shortly after that, I received one card in my name and another in the name of Div Orced. I shit you not.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

If you are traveling stop at a gas station or welcome center and get a booklet. There are coupons in it that beat the AARP discount. Also, if you are 60 or older most motels give you a discount anyway. Other ways to get a cheaper rate is by going to several sites on the internet for a cheap rate, and if you are a motor club member you may also get a break in price. AARP can stick it in their ear as far as I'm concerned.

Reply to
Dave

Your a member but do you support their agenda's? They're about as left a group as you can get. Probably as bad as the ACLU! I have been asked to join, but no way would I support an outfit that appoints Harry Belfonte their spokesman. Calling the Pres. of the USA a terrorist, the communist should be arrested for treason.

I have many names for Hilary, but never would I call her a terrorist.

RV

Reply to
Evodawg

that depends on your local. The HD here is much more helpful than Lowles. Lowles has improved though, but how hard is it to improve from less than zero?

RV

Reply to
Evodawg

"OTOH, just staying one weekend in a hotel somewhere can result in enough savings to more than pay for the membership."

See Below.

"welcome center and get a booklet.There are coupons in it that beat the AARP discount. Also, if you are 60 or older most motels give you a discount anyway."

I agree completely. We first joined AARP when you could get a lifetime membership for about $20. Didn't opt for that, took a 10 year for (?) When it ran out, cost was up considerably and don't like their politics. We have traveled all 50 states have never missed having AARP, above suggestion is excellent.

Walt Conner

Reply to
WConner

Some areas aren't so fortunate. Here it's either Home Despot or a *very* expensive Ace store with even crappier tools. There is a Western Tool (expensive) and a local tool dealer (even more expensive). I generally buy tools mail order and am close to a major Grizzley order (drilll press and table saw). Oh, the local tree-huggers (as opposed to tree turners) are trying their best to keep Lowes from ever opening. They've been saying "next fall" for at least three years now.

Reply to
Keith

We stayed in a holtel in Ogunquit Maine last summer (SHMBO had to be obeyed on our 34th anneversary) had about a 40% discount for AARP. My wife qualifies for membership (she got the paperwork; somehow they missed me, so I tell her that *she's* old), but...

Exactly!

Reply to
Keith

nice profit on it.

Reply to
Rob Mills

Evodawg wrote in news:qLTzf.25369 $h47.9240@trnddc08:

Where is Lowles? Everytime (well most of the time) I go to HD, the aisle that has the lumber I'm looking for is blocked off. I don't have the luxury of hanging around while they restock lumber. Never happened at Lowes. If I can find it, I'll try Lowles. Time costs (usually me) Hank

Reply to
Henry St.Pierre

that's what I call it. Lowless!

Reply to