A must have tool?

John Grossbohlin

and what, NO laser guided level and digital readout?? :)

SWMBO would love it, though.

Reply to
Swingman

solution? Not so much. Lee Valley has a whole bunch of solutions far better suited for the job at hand.

Reply to
Robatoy

Then you better expect one for next Christmas.

Reply to
Dave

If you act now, the laser level comes with it, FREE! Just pay the additional $7.95 s/h fee. Bottom line: $31 kit worth about, what, six bucks?

Until she hung that heavy mirror and it came down in the middle of the night because the nail is less than 3/4" long and doesn't go into the studs. OOPS!

-- The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools. -- Herbert Spencer

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Method to that madness ... who would want to forgo another "I told you so" opportunity to reinforce life's natural order (against a fetching blonde, you need all the help you can get). ;)

Reply to
Swingman

(older home with genuine plaster, not drywall)

Reply to
Larry W

Yup... they forgot to include the free bonus dead blow hammer for those cases.

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

That was my first thought, knowing what my house is like.....

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Reply to
vanzandtraymond

Looks to me like a solution in search of a problem. How hard is it to tap a nail into a wall? A much bigger problem is locating a stud where you want to hang something heavy.

Reply to
Just Wondering

Absolutely

How hard is it to tap a nail into a wall?

Probably easier with an actual hammer.

A much bigger problem is locating a stud where

That is relatively simple too. Use 4~5 stacked rare earth magnets wrapped in masking tape, to protect a painted surface, and hover it closely back and forth along the surface of the wall. The magnets will almost pull out of your hand and stick to the wall everywhere that there is a dry wall screw or nail.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
Just Wondering

I think the person who buys this does not have the notion of a structural stud in mind. The manufacturer should sell a broom with it to pick up the inevitable pieces of glass.

Reply to
Bill

So when you say, "A much bigger problem is locating a stud where you want to hang something heavy," you actually meant to say a much bigger problem is having a stud where you want to hang something heavy.

I don't think I misunderstood what you actually said, maybe what you meant to say. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

My thought too. That thing probably works on drywall, but your SOL if you have an older house with lath & plaster.

And the nail and hammer are a darn sight cheaper than paying $31 (after shipping and handling) for that thing.

One does have to wonder, tho, what inspired Mr Vanzandt to suddenly post that link, 3 and a half years after John G first posted it.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

I'm wondering where this post from 2012 came from... without any other text to put it in context!

With that I searched it out and from the looks of the thread on Google groups the whole thing was a joke!

As they say, things on the Internet never go away! LOL

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

I wonder if J. Clarke ever got his blasting license. It sure would make putting holes in for outlets a hole lot cooler. (

Reply to
Puckdropper

I remember that "tool" being sold on TV. You can still get one at Hobby Lobby if you look.

Reply to
Markem

With shaped charges that should work!

Reply to