I must have a ghost in the house

Just woken up to a buzzing sound (ooh err) and it turns out my hair cutters have just turned themselves on.

They were on charge and a bit hot when I unplugged them.

Nothing looks melted but I can smell a burning plastic smell.

Reply to
ARW

I bet its a device which like many does not have an old fashioned on off switch, but some low power circuit monitoring the battery and the momentary switch. All very nice until a mains spike comes along and screws up the logic. I've seen this so often in shavers, pocket recorders, even, back in the day on vcrs. It seems we are incapable of keeping things simple any more. I bet there is even a chip to replace the light switch out there. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

My beard clippers are rechargeable but still have a nice slider :)

It amazes me however, how little protection they put on some things to stop them accidentally turning on, say whilst packed for travelling.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yes I once had a portable radio which was supposed to have a button that locked the on off till you hit that button twice to unlock it, so it was buried deep in my case when we got a call over the airport public address. When we turned up in a room the staff were not amused at hearing The rolling Stones playing from inside my case. the made me open it take the abattoirs out etc. Very embarrassing, though I got the distinct feeling they were smirking behind my back. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I have a ghost in my spellchecker, can you help? How the heck can it make the mis typing of batteries into that? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I had one of those a while back. We gradually learned to live with each other but it took some time. Then when I sold the place and another family moved in 'he' went apeshit over it and kicked off big time. Seems they really don't like change!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I took it at face value.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Maybe the spellchecker's knackered. Ha ha.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Why don't you quote the post you are replying to?

How do you propose enforcing this requirement?

Reply to
Max Demian

a court I presume. Whether it's enforceable after agreeing to the ISP's TOS I don't know.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Because I'm responding solely to the title of this thread.

Hopefully it will never be necessary:

Cursitor Doom

SWMBO was stopped by customs a few years back with a vibration from her hand luggage that made the table resonate. Turned out to be her toothbrush.

Reply to
The Other Mike

SWMBO took her alarm clock on holiday last year. It's one of those clever ones you set (and unset) by turning upside down. One of these;

The implications of this didn't occur to her until her suitcase started beeping in the checkin line.

Don't get me started about the time she took a zip-lock bag of white powder to the USA with her. Fortunately we didn't get stopped by Customs. It was only Splenda, but it could have been an interesting conversation.

And I've accidentally carried a 12ga shotgun cartridge to the USA. So much for airport security, eh?

Reply to
Huge

Security my arse.

It's the same at prisons.

They searched my van and confiscated the deicer (aerosols are banned as they can be used as explosives), my chewing gum (can be used to block locks), my fuel card (because it's chip and pin but I was allowed to keep my bank card with me!) but they never noticed the dash cam I had forgot to remove from the windscreen.

To make things worse they then stopped the plumber that was with me from entering because he was wearing an orange hi viz T shirt (that is what the E list prisoners wear). It was the same T shirt he had worn whilst working in there the 3 previous days but it was the first time they had noticed it.

Once we actually started work I plugged in my Makita charger which plays a tune and security thought it was a mobile phone going off and started a full search of the room.

Reply to
ARW