A bit OT but something most of us have in our shops.

krw wrote in news:ptksrbh2ccmvml00psic6qrpr6a5putag6@

4ax.com:

In either case, be sure to give them a few simple tests in the store. Open the drawers or spin the ratchets and see how nicely they work. You may not get the Craftsman warranty, but a life time warranty doesn't mean anything if you don't get a servicable tool in return.

Aside: has anyone tried Kobalt's Lifetime Warranty? Do they require a receipt?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

And there is always the p-touch label maker...

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

On 08/24/2016 4:11 PM, Leon wrote: ...

I like the chest, Leon; the single-board for the drawer fronts is nice touch.

Do you have dimensions handy? I've knocked together similar but not taken time to actually make something that looks like anything as yet, but have thoughts along those lines... :)

Reply to
dpb

Yes!

The box,

56.5" tall. 43.5" wide, 24.5" deep.

That sits on a fixed mobile base, the black bottom, and casters. The base and casters are 7" tall

The box opening,

50.5" tall, 39.5" wide

The drawers, top to bottom, over all height, not actual storage depth,

3", 3.125", 4.75", 4.75", 4.75", 4.75", 7", 8", 9"
Reply to
Leon

Thanks, noted! (Not that it'll get built this afternoon... :) )

I had guessed roughly that size but was curious...

Out of curiosity, what'd you use for the drawer bottoms; those could hold a fair amount of weight...

Reply to
dpb

1/4" birch plywood. On the deepest drawers I reinforced by screwing in narrow strips of Ipe under the bottom of the drawer bottoms, in thirds front to back. Pocket holes in the narrow strips to tie into the drawer fronts and backs.

FWIW in 1990, when remodeling our kitchen, I stood on top of a similar sized kitchen drawer bottom to prove to my wife that 1/4" was plenty to hold her pots and pans.

Reply to
Leon

Who would have thought Leon's wife would be questioning his work! LOL.

Sonny I'm still laughing.... Maybe, back then, he didn't have so many green tools.... Or he didn't whistle, while he worked, so much.

Reply to
Sonny

You are a sharp one! :-)

Reply to
Leon

Leon was heard to mutter:

Now that is a toolchest! I would love to have one like that for my good tools. That is truly a heriloom treasure.

I have a simple two-piece Craftsman. I use it for basic tools only.

I've always thought that but never had the tools to make one. Still don't really but I may try my hand at it one day.

Reply to
Casper