A bit OT but something most of us have in our shops.

We appear to have a difference in terminology here. What is your definition of a "crescent wrench"?

Where I grew up a Crescent wrench was the most well known brand name for an adjustable wrench as shown here:

Specific sized wrenches, even if made by Crescent were "open end" or "box" wrenches.

If someone said "Hand me the Crescent wrench", you knew they meant the adjustable wrench.

If you do a Google search on Crescent wrench, the overwhelming majority (almost 100%) of the images are of adjustable wrenches, even if not made by Crescent.

I guess that's why I find the term "metric Crescent wrench" a little strange. My brain says "An adjustable wrench is neither metric nor imperial."

Reply to
DerbyDad03

"My bad", then. I knew Crescent was an old manufacturer, and I thought it was a generic term for "open-ended wrench". What you call a Crescent wrench, I was brought up with as a "pipe wrench". I probably would not have used the term Crescent until I was exposed to it a few weeks ago. I'll be careful in the future! By the way, I have an old set of these:

Bill

Wow 120" tall and 36" deep, does he have it in a barn and use a ladder to get to the top box?

Craftsman makes some huge tool boxes like it. Not sure where the big Milwaukee tool boxes were made.

Vietnam

But would guess not China. They are quality, as you described. I believe many years ago Made in Vietnam was common on stuff. Made in Vietnam was the precursor to Made in China. Guessing the relevant size of China made Vietnam disappear. I have several Craftsman tool boxes. Drawers are not ball bearing so the big heavy drawers take a lot of effort to open. Otherwise nothing but good things to say about Craftsman tool boxes. If I was buying new I'd look at Home Depot and Lowes offerings on tool boxes. As well as Craftsman. Lowes has their Kobalt brand in a pretty blue color.

Craftsmen has better offerings but still offer pretty crappy stuff. You have to pay about double to get the equivalent to its competition. For home use most all of the HD, Lowe's, Craftsman boxes are good but if you move the boxes to other locations, transport by truck, you really should empty or remove the drawers. It is not a stretch to load them up to near capacity and the bouncing and lifting puts strain on them that they are not designed to handle. For brands like Matco or SnapOn their weight capacity is 3-4 times more, 6-8 thousand pounds. Mechanics buying these brands typically change jobs often and the boxes have to survive the moves.

Reply to
Leon

Yes all brands break and SnapOn has an exception clause. If it breads because it was worn out it is not normally covered.

Well In most cases the Craftsman are used mostly by home owners and some pro's. It is likely if a Craftsman breaks it is not worn out. SnapOn is rarely bought by a homeowner that uses his tools occasionally.

Reply to
Leon

VERY convenient.

e start (it was replaced).

a few weeks ago.

Don't worry, there is no "my bad" here. :-)

What there is is kind a of a mix-up between types of wrenches and manufactu rer's names, which I am guilty of also.

Crescent makes all kinds of wrenches, adjustable, open end, box, etc. If so meone was brought seeing open end wrenches made by Crescent, it would make sense that that is what they call a crescent wrench. I grew up with adjusta bles by Crescent, so that's what stuck with me.

Now, I do have to say that I've never known an adjustable wrench of the typ e I am speaking of to be called a pipe wrench. A pipe wrench is adjustable, but it's a totally different animal, both in terms of design and operation . The movable jaw of a pipe has a very specific reason for being "sloppy". It's designed that way so that grips the round surface of a pipe when force is a pplied.

This is pipe wrench:

DerbyDad03

Or a "Stillson Wrench" ;)

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Typically the company that is the first to invent/market a particular style tool is how the tool gets it's name.

Crescent Wrench the adjustable wrench, Allen Wrench the hex wrench, Skil Saw the circular saw, Channellock Plyers the slip joint plyers, Torx wrench the star wrench, Phillips driver, cross head driver.

And sometimes what the tool is originally named sticks. Milwaukee "Sawsall" a recip saw, and probably the "Domino" when the Festool patent expires.

Reply to
Leon

Oh! Add "The Kodak" the camera. ;~)

and

The Polaroid Camera the instant camera.

Reply to
Leon

I still have my first tool box. It is 7 x 14 inches, made by Union Steel Chest Corp., LeRoy, N.Y. It had a curved or domed lid. The lid is crumpled down by my first daughter standing on it to watch me work. She is now 54.

Reply to
G. Ross

Cant say that I still have mine. My first set of sockets, wrenches, and screw drivers were Penncraft, JCPenneys. They came in the typical plastic injection molded box. I still have all the tools, 1971.

That box was replaced by a Craftsman two drawer then a Kennedy, then the Craftsman top and bottom box.

Reply to
Leon

I have no doubt the top brand tools are top notch. But I only open my Craf tsman tool box drawers about once a month. Not once a minute or hour. For holding my tools in between semi annual usage or less, they do very well. I am happy to have fine Craftsman tools. But most of them don't see the l ight of day very much.

Reply to
russellseaton1

On 08/23/2016 8:40 AM, G. Ross wrote: ...

While not "mine" in same since still have and use a couple that were grandfather's, dating to at least 1914 which is when he and his brother settled on the place here; had been renting farm ground earlier so it's likley they came with him rather than were new at the time...

Several wrench sets are still mostly around and a set of Craftsman pipe dies and another tap and die set date to probably the '20s...

Reply to
dpb

Reply to
Leon

I only have Craftsman and gasp, Penncraft, JCPenney from the early 70's. Those are perfectly fine for us. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

it a few weeks ago.

acturer's names, which I am guilty of also.

f someone was brought seeing open end wrenches made by Crescent, it would m ake sense that that is what they call a crescent wrench. I grew up with adj ustables by Crescent, so that's what stuck with me.

type I am speaking of to be called a pipe wrench. A pipe wrench is adjusta ble, but it's a totally different animal, both in terms of design and opera tion. The movable jaw of a pipe has a very specific reason for being "slopp y". It's

As opposed to a Monkey Wrench...

nches.png

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I've been using the same hammer since the mid-70's. I've changed the head twice and the handle three times, but it's still the same hammer. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Guessing you have this Milwaukee toolbox.

1

My friend has this one. At Home Depot.

src=aw.ds

My friend's is about 4 feet wide, 6 feet high, 2 feet deep. Yours is about 3.25 feet wide, 5.5 feet high, 1.5 feet deep. Not twice as big. Just 1.5 times bigger. But if you see it in person you would say its twice as big. 19,200 cubic inches storage compared to 27,200 inches storage. $300 pric e difference.

Reply to
russellseaton1

I had it for two days. Then gave it to my son for his BD. :~)

I am seriously looking at the 46" for myself to replace my Craftsman

26". At my local HD I also found a display and boxed 52" Husky. NOT the regular Husky, built very much like the Milwaukee. Same casters as the Milwaukee. Same soft close drawers, Some type peg board style panel on the back, 2 breakered and USB multi outlets, Black wrinkle paint and gloss black drawer pulls. Rated for 2500 lbs. and 120 lb rated drawers and a 5 year warranty. And IIRC 20" deep drawers as opposed to 16". 35,757 cu. in of storage... Huge. Same price as the 46" Milwaukee. I cannot find any information on that particular 52" Husky, it is $100 more than the regular 52" Huskys.

My son's 30" was $500 the 46 is $700.

Reply to
Leon

SOB that 46 just went up to $750 from yesterday.

Reply to
Leon

Prices in my links above from Home Depot are $749 and $448 for the 30 inch and 46 inch Milwaukee tool boxes. Might be different on the floor of the store.

Reply to
russellseaton1