3" round over.

Good day. I was wondering if perhaps amy one would know, what would be the easiest way to make a 3" qtr round. Your suggestions will be greatly appricated. Thanks.

Reply to
newbee

Shaper

You mean without a shaper? I suppose all you could do would be to make a few angled cuts on the table saw and then try to sand it out. Make a template so you can see how you are doing.

Reply to
Toller

You do not state how long the piece needs to be. If it is short enough to fit in a lathe, then turning a 4x4 piece of wood is one way, then cutting this into quarters.

If you need this to be long, one way is to get a 1.5in radius router bit. These are not cheap - $50 - $100 depending on brand. Route the radius on 2x stock and then cut off the radius edge.

Another way would be to make several cuts on 2x stock at different angles, then use a curved spokeshave or scraper to get the final 1.5in radius and again cut off the radius edge. If you go this route, your wrists will thank you for using a spokeshave instead of scraper blade.

Dave Paine

Reply to
Tyke

| I was wondering if perhaps amy one would know, what would be the | easiest way to make a 3" qtr round.

Probably the easiest way would be to turn them on a lathe or, if you can find a 3" roundover bit, cut them on a router table.

This year I made some 1-1/2" quarter round (for cabinet corners) on a CNC router, using about 60 passes per piece with a 1" round nose router bit.

Morris Dovey

the old way would be to get it as close as possible with a table saw and then build yourself a modified spoke shave and basically scrape it to the right shape. this can work very well if you are any good with metal work. just a piece of flat iron and a grinder gets you most of the way to your scraper and then some precise sharpening with a file and some sandpaper. if you had a dowel the right size you could spray glue on some 400 grit sandpaper to that to make the final sharpen.

otherwise go get the right router bit or shaper bit Doug

Reply to
Doug Schultz

If you don't need any bends in it, Tape-ease sells 3" quarter round plywood and MDF.

Reply to
Drew Eckhardt

"Doug Schultz" wrote in news:3dJkf.37001$ki.20388@pd7tw2no:

Umm, If he had the right sized dowel for the final sharpening, couldn't he just cut that into quarters and skip all the metal fab stuff? ;)

~Rob

Reply to
Rob Sluys

Yeah, duh, just hop down to HD and pick up a 6" diameter dowel.

Depends if he wants the roundover to be of the same material as the rest of the piece I suppose.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Schultz

Standard item if you can use 3/4", 13 ply, plywood formed in quarter circle.

Standard length is 96".

Various outer veneers are available.

Lew

Reply to