2016 Accord face lift and still has V6 with MT

Finally, I did it...... Really screwed up on where this went. Sorry!

Reply to
Leon

Let me be the first to say that (as a Honda fan) I'm glad they didn't go as aggressive with the front grill as the new Toyota Camry has.

My neighbor just bought a 2016 Camry and the front grill will scare senior citizens and young children. I'd swear there is less wildlife in my neighborhood since he brought that beast home.

I don't know who their target market is, but there are 55+ YO's and mid-20's members of my household and none of us like the front end of the Camry.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Yeah, I don't understand this current fad for huge grills on small cars either. I swear, some of them are big enough to put the radiator from a semi-truck behind (and all for a little 1.4l 4-banger).

John

Reply to
John McCoy

I haven't looked close enough but I wonder if the new grills have a guard to protect the radiator. I know lots of folks that own Odyssey's who have added "radiator protection" to prevent damage.

DerbyDad03

They hired Chrysler engineers? They're certainly ugly enough.

Reply to
krw

Look what Lexus has done to the grille on all their cars.

Dave in SoTex

Reply to
Dave in SoTex

That fad comes and goes.

The '66 Toronado is still a beautiful car nearly 50 years later. For

1970 they beat it to death with an ugly stick, and a huge new grille was a big part of the uglification. Can't even blame it on the Feds--the bumper-uglification law didn't go into effect until 1972.
Reply to
J. Clarke

I used to buy Honda and Acura. Flip a coin as to which is better, Honda or Toyota. But the grills on all of the Toyotas and Lexus do take some getting use to. We have a 2012 SE V6 Camry and I do prefer the look of the 2015 over ours except for the grill. Our Camry is now 35 months old and has yet to go in for any warranty work. My 2007 Tundra still runs like new.

It does sorta look like a snow blower intake.

Reply to
Leon

FWIW a small engine putting out extreme hp for its size does need lots of cooling capacity. I remember when 2.3 liter produced 93 hp. It is not unusual now to see less than 2 liter producing almost 300 hp.

Reply to
Leon

I put two engines in a 1983 Supra in 30,000 miles (yes, thirty, not three hundred) with Toyota being unwilling to cough up one cent (the first one was 12,800 miles into a 12,500 mile warranty IIRC) so I never want another Toyota.

First one the bearings went on a really cold morning. Second one I was driving down the road about 35 miles an hour in fourth gear and it threw a rod.

Until the first engine blew it was really a nice car.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I suspect that the engines are better built today. I can understand your frustration, I once had a Vega, two engines on that one and needed a third at less than 45k.

Reply to
Leon

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

The size of the engine is irrelevant, it's purely dependant on the amount of power. Give or take a fraction, about 25% of the chemical energy in the fuel comes out as mechanical energy (i.e. horsepower), about 50% goes as heat in the exhaust, and about

25% goes as heat to the radiator.

With respect to passenger cars, none of them have a radiator big enough to handle their peak power output. The designers depend on the fact that drivers rarely ask for full power for more than a few seconds (passing on a two lane road, stop light drag races, etc). Semi trucks, which do need to produce peak power for extended periods, have vastly larger radiators even tho their power output isn't much more (360-430hp would be typical).

Yamaha rates my bikes engine at 188hp (from 1 liter). It has a radiator of 14" x 10". You wouldn't need a much larger radiator for the typical small car.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

That was one of the first all aluminum engines. When my brother moved from Philadelphia to San Diego, I drove one of his three cars, his wife's Vega, out there. Cross country in five days. It was never the same after that so he unloaded it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yours laste 45K? My dad's was mostly rust by 30K.

Reply to
J. Clarke

That was my point, typically all engines are small these days but produce up to triple HP so the need to cool is greater. You left out natural heat radiation of the engine itself not counting the exhaust. ;~) I'm an ex-GM service manager, actually my real jobs were upper automotive management. A few things that I could never quite understand and the factory reps could not explain.

  1. The heat extracted by the radiator is blown straight back on to the source. How does that work? LOL
  2. I'm not sure how electric fuel pumps work to day but in the 70's and
80's many were submerged inside the fuel tank. I disassembled an electric fuel pump and noticed that the fuel travels through the electric motor including the brushes. How does the vehicle not blow up when out of fuel but loaded with gas vapors?

And hence the extra electric fans that often continue to run after engine is turned off. I can assure you that engines reach peek operating temperatures more often when sitting in traffic in summer heat than when putting out peek power. If it were not for those fans every vehicle would be over heating when is stop and go traffic.

Different set up altogether. The engine is more in the open and heat is not captured by the engine compartment found on most 4 wheel vehicles. And especially, the engine is not working nearly as hard as a similar HP car engine lugging around 3000+ pounds and powering AC, which BTY also contributes heat through the condenser, and vehicles that still have PS pumps.

But yes in ideal conditions the vehicle is, in varying less degrees, dependent on radiator capacity.

Reply to
Leon

Actually the Vega engine, except for the Cosworth Vega engine, had an aluminum block and cast iron head. Expansion rates between dissimilar metals may have been one of the reasons for chronic blown head gaskets and over heating. I was very leery of buying anything American with all or partial aluminum engines in the 70's and 80's. Although my factory rep talked me into buying my wife the 83 Ciera with the aluminum block V6 diesel. He guaranteed me that he would warrant if for as long as I owned it. I bit and bought and unloaded before 50K. I got tired of having the vehicle in the shop for engine problems. He made good on the promise however. I paid for no repairs. And to be certain, I was the Service Sales Manager for a large Oldsmobile dealership. There was no issue with maintenance being a factor.

Reply to
Leon

I keep hearing that they had rust problems... But, I did live in south Texas but 3 miles from the coast line. I did however, being a kid with excess energy, wash and "wax" the vehicle every week.

Reply to
Leon

snip

snip

I had an overhearing problem with my 2004.5 Chev Duramax while towing a

10,000 lb trailer up a long grade in the AZ summer. The problem was exactly what you mention - the heat from the radiator blown by the fan when it engaged right into the the air intake - a wicked heat loop! The solution was to upgrade the air intake to the cold air intake from the 2006 model as well as a much larger turbo intake to match the larger size of the air intake plumbing. The next step would be a vented hood, but the cold air intake solved the problem.

These trucks can generate some heat - the EGT can run about 1300F when pulling a grade.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Over heating!

Reply to