Subject Author Posted Replies

Kitchen ring, switched spur
Hi, In my kitchen (rewired a long time ago) there is a single ring, and a separate cooker radial. From the ring there is a switched spur which goes to a double socket under the countertop. This has a...
21
21

Freezer Digital Indicator - what's the point?
Just got a brand new Fridge/Freezer. No longer having a dial 1-6 (is 6 colder than 1 ??) but nice digital display where I can set exactly Fridge 3degC, Freezer -19DegC. Well have you checked yours?...
57
57

OT: Unusual email address
A friend has the email address of the form I've never seen one like that before. Is it specific to Apple iphone, for example, or something similar?
35
35

Tiles on top of slate roof?!
Is this planning permission bullshit, or is there a good reason to do this? Near me there is a terrace of very old small stone cottages with slate rooves. Most of the rooves are leaking, so people are...
11
11

Pusher rod for Arrow T25 stapler
This pusher rod is easily lost, and I recently lost one. I have been trying to get a replacement, but it appears that the T25P staple gun is no longer made, and no spare pusher rods are available....

SOT: thumbnails on Windows 10
Bizarrely, all the thumbnails in Windows Explorer have disappeared, replaced by icons. I have tried the various suggestions to reverse this - notably View / Options / Untick 'Always show icons never...
15
15

Plusnet update
My Plusnet phone tariff to increase 3.9%
13
13

rechargeable tool battery compatibility
The small number of 18v tool batteries and chargers I have *look* the same but they don't fit each other or the tools. they are labelled Macallister and Bauker, although the Bauker battery goes in a...
17
17

What plastic cement?
We have a plastic-cased slide viewer for looking at larger glass slides (2" by 2" I imagine). It dates from probably the early 60s or so. Some small plastic parts relating to assembling it have broken...
25
25

recommendations for small monitor
I hope to restore a mothballed HTPC in a few weeks time. I used to use our wide screen TV as its monitor but the that prevents its use as a TV while I am configuring it. The answer seems to be a small...
10
10

OT Duplicate file finder
I have a backup disk that is near full. I am aware it has a lot of duplicate files. I have looked at DupeGuru but this (and others) seem to allow you to search for duplicate file with either the same...
31
31

OT: Bellrock (gyprock) construction
Obviously not a DIY task, but I wondered about a non-standard construction method known (locally at least) as Bellrock, which I understand consists of gypsum plaster panels. It seems mortgages are not...
5
5

OT: Black rain
Anyone else’s car getting covered in black dust from the rain today? I noticed quite a bit of this this morning and gave my car a quick wash. After a light shower this afternoon it’s back again....
6
6

OT: Today's Freecycle offer
"WANTED: Morse key / tapper (Bury St. Edmunds)". Interesting, I wonder why?
18
18

Phantom file causing Win7 backup error
10