Subject Author Posted Replies

can the snow pattern in these pavers be explained?
Here is the picture: shows a friends paved area where the sun has melted the snow over the pavers, but has left a reasonable depth of snow on the joints. Where the sun did not shine the snow is...
9
9

you will never buy another fig newton
Figs aren't exactly fruits...but that's not the only bizarre thing about them. Discover the gross world of figs! Subscribe to Gross Science! http://bit.ly/1FkxVLb ‖ Twitter!...
1
1

D-I-Y: Stupid FedEx
I want to send some official papers to the US, and have them signed for. FedEx was recommended as a suitable carrier. I went to the FedEx website, entered the basic information, asking for a Monday...

Inverter welders
I bought a welder in 1972; used it now and then ever since. Now people are telling me that I should buy a DC (inverter) welder. My welding jobs aren't very ambitious: just making various brackets and...
46
46

OT: How much bandwidth does a webcam use?
I have a Yale Front Door camera which detects motion and records a short clip on an internal SD card when motion occurs. It also has an internet connection via wifi, and sends me an alert on my phone...
5
5

Electricity Prices.
I rang EON NEXT to find out what the unit cost of electricity would be next month. The reply was that they did not know and maybe I should call in a weeks time. I never find The governments...
4
4

TV recorder
Might be OT. Growing bored of Netflix offerings and previously recorded stuff on my broken Topfield (close coupled transistor failed on the tuner input and I don't have skill/patience to replace) I...
99
99

80 amp house supply upgrade to 100 amps?
National Grid are coming in a few months to move my incoming supply, I think they will just move the existing meter and 80 amp fuse. Its costing £1300 ! While they are at it would it be an idea to...
30
30

bath lead to plastic joint how?
The old bath has a sawn off lead pipe which is joined to a plastic pipe and leaks. How can I make this joint watertight? Araldite?
6
6

OT Aldi corn (maize) oil 99p/litre
What would happen if I poured some of this into the tank of my diesel car? Just curious. Another Dave
20
20

Rail needed
I need to build a narrow trolley, say 30cm wide and 100cm deep 74cm high. to sit on four trolley casters. It would sit behind a sideboard and be pulled out to change or examine its contents, probably...
6
6

anybody remember this eye test machine ?
The first grade of Binocular Single Vision (BSV), Simultaneous Perception (SP), is tested using two dissimilar pictures, such as a lion and a cage. The tubes are adjusted objectively (by the examiner)...
15
15

PAN has just crashed then refused to start up.
That is, it launches, displays the window, then immediately crashes. Assuming that this may take a while to sort out, I am switching over to Thunderbird for the moment. First big question - how do you...
13
13

Use of RJ11 for mains !!
During a discussion elsewhere someone has suggested using a curly phone cable, with RJ11 connectors, to carry low-current 230V mains. This seems like madness to me. The proposer supports the argument...
24
24

Roof to gutter overhang formula
I'm replacing my crappy plastic car port pitched roof with PVC covered steel box section but am unsure what the correct overhang (ie horizontal overlap) distance above a gutter should be (to stop...
1
1