Subject Author Posted Replies

OT more news for livers tolie about.
Typical brexiteer MP rubbishes the report without offering any basis for doing so. Government assessments predict the biggest hit for regions that voted to Leave.
59
59

Gridwatch - OCGT ramping up
Is this one of those scenarios with a freezing night and not much wind that we have talked about from time to time? Still quite a bit of headroom on hte coal, but I am assuming somebody got their sums...
3
3

where did all those drill messages suddenly vanish to? `
its one of life, or usenetws or outlook distress, great mysteries! Brian
1
1

Electric car sales
China made more than half of electric car purchases in the third quarter
69
69

Vax guarantee
I'm pleased to be able to report that Vax do honour the six year guarantee on their vacuum cleaners. Bill
3
3

This will upset Harry
Cheddar Man: DNA shows early Briton had dark skin Scientists put a face to Cheddar Man, Britain's oldest complete skeleton from 10,000 years ago.
46
46

Solar panel optimal orientation
I have a solar powered lamp [0] to go in a passageway. The solar panel will be mounted on a West-facing wall (and connected to the lamp by a cable). I'm wondering about the optimal placement of the...
6
6

Short 1mm HS drill bits.
Anyone know of a source of short 1mm HSS drill bits? The same sort of length as the 1/8 shank tungsten types? Which are too brittle to use hand held. Ages ago you could buy 1/8 shank in HSS, but not...
19
19

Plumbing a knot...
It all seemed straight forward in my head... its only when you try and fit hot and cold feeds for two showers, two baths, two basins, and two loos each with service valves into a bit of stud wall you...
13
13

Physics/Torque
Depends how rusty its got in the meantime And how much plastic deformation and creep has happened.
24
24

OT: Falcon heavy rocket launch
Currently this is rescheduled for 20:45 tonight. Launch window closed at 21:00 Could be well worth a look. Tim "I would really like to emphasize that the odds of success are not super high."
100
100

Calor/ Propane gas bottles, reallocation of use?
Hi, I notice that 15 kg gas bottles are plentiful and inexpensive. What is the test pressure used in the manufacture and inspection of these? I was wondering if I could use a couple feeding a homemade...
8
8

Flow Chart Software
Looking for some cheap (aka free of FOSS) flow chart software to just document a Python script. I've dug about and not really found what I'm looking for, namely but not exclusivly): 1) Desktop...
19
19

Soil Stack ventilation, flap vents, draughts, and rats...
Hi all I've been taking a good look at the outside of our house, as we have a bit of a rat problem and I'm trying to work out where they are getting in. We have an internal soil pipe and a few years...
1
1

Water stains on ceiling
I've been asked to sort out a ceiling that has brown stains from there having been a leak from the room above. My experience of stains like this is that however many coats of emulsion you apply it...
16
16