OT: BEIS announce closure of solar panel export tariff

Householders who install solar panels after April next year will no longer get paid for their excess power and will be giving it to the grid for free, after government closes energy payment scheme. The change will not affect the 800,000 homes that already have solar panels.

Chris Hogg

Perhaps they can move to a system where if they want a grid tie for their generation system they have to pay the grid if they can't deliver power at a constant rate. That way it will compensate the grid for the extra instability they cause, and the increased dependency on gas power generation to balance things they force into the system.

Reply to
John Rumm

What will happen is that local switching services and storage will come in and buy the excess. Surely though if you are generating surplus electricity, you should be compensated for it by lower tariffs. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That's Scotland stuck then.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

What storage would that be, then?

Reply to
Tim Streater

it uses pixie dust as the terminal material and unicorn fart as the electrolyte.

Dont you know ANYTHING?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

it may not be cost effective, but pretending that it doesn't exist at all is disingenuous

Reply to
tim...

Such storage is touted as if it's cheap, off the shelf, that we must be mad not to be deploying it, and it's the answer to a maiden's prayer.

In fact it is extremely expensive to do anything worth while with batteries, and I shall keep sneering at the childish sentiments for the time being.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I was asking what storage that would be. I never implied that no stoarge existed.

If its not cost effective I can assure you no one but a numpty will install it.

So what storage would that be?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In article <pvgg17$6s7$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Brian Gaff snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> writes

Not if it's generated when no-one wants it

Reply to
bert

In article <211220181023444452% snipped-for-privacy@greenbee.net, Tim Streater snipped-for-privacy@greenbee.net writes

Where there are such facilities being built they quote MW rather than MWH Total deception.

Reply to
bert

Laboratory scale fusion exists (momentarily), but it is not a practical engineering solution to anything. I don't think I would be wrong to say fusion power is not available as an option. Ditto practical domestic electricity storage. Try running storage heaters from one that would fit in your house.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Veering off at a tangent, but not off-topic: isn't the most effective way of storing electricity in a reservoir, behind a hydro-electric dam?

Maybe building such dams is as expensive as a nuclear power station (nuclear being my personally favoured route ... but I think it's reserved for rich nations isn't it?)

John

Reply to
Another John

And which reservoirs would those be, then?

Reply to
Tim Streater

It depends on the geography.

We don't have much suitable geography.

And its not in a convenient place. It's all in Scotland.,

So need a big extension cable as well.

We are a rich nation.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

domestic battery storage is available

albeit at an unattractive price

tim

Reply to
tim...

So you're agreeing that it's not a practical solution, rather it's one that only a numpty would seriously consider.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Does that mean there is no point in regenerative braking with trains, etc?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So who is volunteering for the job of persuading either the Scots or the Welsh to have their valleys flooded for the benefit of the English?

Reply to
bert

Diamond-encrusted trainers are available.

Reply to
Roger Hayter